1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ME to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jim624, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Need help ….. a lotta help !!

Trying to help a friend with his computer………it was real glitchy and full of ad ware, spyware, and virus’. Got rid of the virus’, and most the adware, but it was still glitchy. My friend did not have a restore disk for this computer, nor an OS disk. I tried to reinstall Windows ME from the Setup.exe inside the computer, when I did it came up with many errors during the install, and ultimately when all was said and done when trying to boot it, it will only go to the welcome screen and no further…..it does the same thing when I try to start it in safe mode too. So I tried to upgrade it to XP….that didn’t work either…it’s doing the same thing. So I figured I’d do a clean install of XP, I got the bootup disks and tried but it won’t work. Here’s what I need you very smart people to tell me……how do I get this back to a working order …in other words, with a clean install of XP. I can’t even get to a command prompt….I’m at a loss. Please help me.

My friend is taking online courses at University of Phoenix and really needs the computer !!

Jim

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You don't need boot discs for WinXP. All you need is the WinXP CD, it is bootable by itself.
    You need to start the computer and enter the BIOS, set the CDrom to be first in the boot order. Then insert the WinXP disc and it will boot from there. It will guide you from there. If it's an up-grade CD you will be asked if you want to up-grade or format and start clean. You are far better off by starting fresh, especially since you know you have a problem. Up-grades are not for solving problems. The Up-grade disc will also ask you to provide a "qualifying product" CD (98,98SE,ME). You place it in the drive and after it verifies the disc, you put the WinXP CD back in. It will then finish the installation. After you are done remember to go back and reset the boot order to hard drive first.

3. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

It is the full complete program of Win XP Pro...not an upgrade......I do not have the ME disk......

4. icecube

icecube

Longhair added install instructions for the xp upgrade cd. In that case you need to prove previous windows ownership. If you have a full xp install cd then you don't need any other disk

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Exactly, if it is not an up-grade you don't need to prove you have a qualifying product.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice