1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ME upgrade 2000 MS says no-VAIO says ok

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Merry_Meet, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Merry_Meet

Merry_Meet Thread Starter

Hi all

I want to upgrade my Sony VAIO Windows ME to Windows 2000.

I went to the VAIO site and downloaded the updates for my machine (RX450) to accomodate 2000.
    http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/cgi-bin/updates.pl

I then went to MS to see what they had ... I came across this page
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272627
    and MS says it is a no go ..."no suported upgrade paths"

I was wondering if I must heed MS and stick with ME?
    ... I really need to install some apps that won't work with it (i.e. MSFrontPage 2000)

What are your thoughts on this upgrade (do not want to go XP!)

I have backed up all of my data to my D: drive (my Sony let's me rebuild with their recovery CD without touching D:). I have also made note of my current settings for mail, network, etc.

thank you
    Amy

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well the page you note that says WinME is not upgradable to Win2K i.e.
    means to upgrade at your own risk and I would say froim reading that article you'd best be advised to stay with WinME.

I don't recall MS Frontpage 2000 not being compatible with WinME though, if that's your only reason to want to upgrade to Win2K. Where'd you hear that? Just on initial hearing that I'd say that is incorrect. I could be wrong but I'd like to see what indicates the incompatibility between those two programs to you. In researching this I found no indication WinMe is not compatible with Front Page 2000. Have you tried installing it with WinMe or something?

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

I thought win 2000 came before ME, there for, it's a downgrade.

maybe I'm wrong though.

4. Merry_Meet

Merry_Meet Thread Starter

Hi
    Well I sure didn't notice it before I installed ... but every single support page at MS blatantly omits WINDOWS ME from the list of supported OS
    "System Requirements
    Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT
    This download works with the following Office applications:
    FrontPage 2000"

So I figured I had better upgrade (move) to Windows 2000 so I can use it properly (don't want XP - can't afford it and Sony supports Win2k). I can't seem to find away around the server extensions not functioning. Anytime I try to use the server administrator it tells me that I have a newer version of extension on my machine, so off I go to the mangement console and it says all is well ?? I googled and couldn't find anything to help me with ME-FP2000 to fix this, so thought I was fried without Windows 2k... I can't get the 2000 server extensions off the machine (or maybe even 2002 cuz I downloaded a trial & removed before I installed 2000)

Yes I read that 2000 came before ME as well
    After reading through this forum for hours, I found that I could attempt a Clean Install of 2000 (dual boot I guess it is called cuz I have to select which I want to use at boot)- that went sort of okay (video was whacked) until I started to update the Sony components as per their site. I got the ethernet card updated, next came video .. and all hell broke loose. Now anytime I try to boot into Win2k, I get a scan disk for disk size and it reboots - can't get past that, nor boot into win2k safe mode. oops.

I am not sure what to do now. I can't get Win2k off the machne and I can't fix up frp2k on WinME.

... am I doing this all wrong? can I get out of anything I have done

:(

thanks
    Amy

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well unfortunately you were probably multi-booting wrong, had it set-up incorrectly. Too bad some FP 2000 features mess for you using WinME. There are excellent tutorials on multi-booting, etc. at PC911 Check out the More how-to's link. Sorry you're having difficulty.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice