ME user32.dll error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

atari800

I'm trying to help a user diagnose a problem on his ME machine. Whenever he starts IE he gets the following error: "Iexplore has caused an error in user32.dll."

The user says everything else on his pc works fine. My quick research revealed that this could be related to anything from a screensaver to his video drivers.

Any suggestions on where I should look first?

Thanks.

Maybe the user32.dll file is corrupted. A copy is available from the compressed folder WIN_15.CAB on the ME install disk or from C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL. It can be extracted using WinZip or similar or by typing the path in Start, Run, Msconfig, Extract File. The trouble is that as this is a C:\Windows\System file it is probably not possible to replace it while Windows is running. So the first thing is to extract the file to, say, C:, then see if it can be copied to System after starting in Safe Mode (tapping F8 during Startup). If that fails you will need a bootup floppy (such as from www.bootdisk.com) to arrive at a DOS A: prompt, and then use DOS commands to copy the file to System.

johnni

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online