1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mecer N243S8 overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tshepo, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tshepo

tshepo Thread Starter

Hi everyone

My dad gave me his old lapy, is a mecer N243S8 but its overheating. So I opened the processor cover and removed the heat sink, the CPU was dry, no thermal paste, I applied the thermal paste but it continued to overheat. One other thing I noticed is that the fan turns, then stops and starts again in a few seconds, but even if the fan is turning, the heat sink gets hot in a matter of seconds. My question lies here, the CPU on it is a 2.4ghz CPU but when I google the model I get a 1.7ghz model, so is it possible that they could have tried to upgrade the CPU with a bigger one so the cooling system cant handle the heat produced by the 2.4ghz CPU and again if so what do I need to do?

2. Severcool

Severcool

Well....first i would look in the BIOS to make sure it isn't overclocked (load fail-safe defaults)....then i would replace the fan if possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice