1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mech Warrior and AMD chipset

Discussion in 'Games' started by jletcher, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jletcher

jletcher Thread Starter

My son's Mechwarrior game won't run. We have an Athlon 1900+ XP machine with lots of memory, good graphics, etc. The microsoft site had a chip set driver upgrade that I downloaded. It said to extract it to the file where the drivers are--I am not sure where that is, so it is on a folder on my desktop titled "downloaded programs". I went through the set up with the new Via driver and Mechwarrior still won't run. I have tried running it at lower resolution, which I shouldn't have to. Any suggestions?

2. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Can you tell us which version of Mech Warrior it is? Also, can you tell us which Operating System is installed on the computer he's trying to run it on?

Also, when you say it "won't run," can you give further details as to how it's launched and ANYTHING that appears on the screen?

Thanks,

3. jletcher

jletcher Thread Starter

THanks, Jay. It is Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance. My OS is XP Home Edition. The screen goes black and freezes the computer.

4. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

I would have you first try downloading updated video drivers. If you've got a video card based on the nVidia chipset (GeForce, TNT2, etc), go to www.nvidia.com and download and install the latest reference drivers. They're 'the choice of gamers.'

5. jletcher

jletcher Thread Starter

Jay, interesting suggestion. I also get these error messages that the computer has recovered from a serious error, caused by an "unknown device driver". I have checked and triple checked every driver I can find and have downloaded the nvidea drivers, and I still get the same thing. It is too odd. But, I will try your link and see if there is anything else.

6. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Ok, goto Start-Settings-Control Panel (slightly different in XP), System Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager button, and tell me if you have anything that doesn't have a (+) sign next to it by default (looking for unknown devices, etc.)

7. jletcher

jletcher Thread Starter

They all have the plus sign. When I check the driver in properties, for each device, most of them say "Microsoft Windows XP Publisher". The Nvidea driver says " Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher"; several of them say that. I have tried to update them all.

8. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Oh, I forgot to warn you that, when installing those nVidia drivers, you'll get a message from Windows warning you that those drivers are not certified by Microsoft for hardware compatibility. Don't worry about that. Because you're using the default drivers installed by Windows XP, anything will be better. ;)

9. RGV312

RGV312

it maybe the infamous "direct X 8.1" glitch... are you running dx 8.1 if so you should dl SP1 for dx 8.1b, suppost to fix the problems..

10. jletcher

jletcher Thread Starter

Where do I find the SP1 for dx 8.1b? And how do I know hwat I have as far as Direct X goes?

11. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

You can use the Windows Update site (click buttons Start-Windows Update) and go through the steps. Also, Start-Run, type "dxdiag" (without the quotes) and hit the Enter key. This will reveal all of your Direct X info.

12. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Oh, if you decide to do all of your Windows Updates, I would recommend staying away from the Windows XP SP1 download due to various reports of problems with that patch.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/100672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice