Mechanical drives vs SSDs in RAID 0 configuration

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mr Davo

Hi Everyone,

In the past I have created a variety of RAID arrays using mechanical drives. As a general rule of thumb I found the data throughput with RAID 0 to be an 80 - 90% speed increase when compared to one drive acting alone.

I am now considering setting up a RAID 0 array using SSDs, more specifically I am looking at purchasing 2 x Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD.

What kind of performance increase can I expect from RAID 0 (of the BIOS variety) when compared to a single SSD? Is it better to pay more for a higher performance SSD and forget about RAID 0? Finally how does RAID 0 affect the life span of an SSD.

Any input here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

crjdriver

First of all, I assume you have some type of backup plan since raid0 doubles your chances of drive failure/data loss. NAS, external, network share, single non-member drive, etc, all of these would be valid backup plans.

Next I use 2 crucial ssd drives in raid0 and here is the benchmark showing over 1000mps read speed.

Next issue. Unless you have a z77 chipset mb, TRIM is not going to work in raid of any type. Intel has validated TRIM pass through when using the latest RST drivers and the z77 chipset. As to whether or not it works with older chipsets; maybe yes and maybe no.

Attachments

Mr Davo

Hello crjdriver,

Thanks very much for sharing your results with me. I definitely understand the risks to data integrity regarding the use of RAID 0. Due to this issue I tend to partition the hard drives such that "C:" contains the OS only, and "D:" data only - then each night I use Robocopy to copy the contents of "D:" to an internal mechanical drive, e.g.: "E:\Backup", finally once a week I then backup the contents of the internal mechanical drive to an external drive (effectively keeping 3 copies of my data). If the OS goes down I am not too concerned, no data is lost, only time w / having to setup software again.

I have already purchased the motherboard that I intend on using, a GA-X79-UP4. Can you please tell me whether or not you think that this motherboards chipset will support both RAID and TRIM?

Your help is very much appreciated, thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Davo

crjdriver

TRIM is a function of the os. As long as you use either win7 or win8, TRIM will be supported. Using raid, you must install the latest RST drivers from the intel download center. This should allow TRIM to function when using raid. Intel says the 7series chipset supports TRIM when using raid. I used to have an article referencing this however now I cannot find it.

BTW you might consider making an image file of your raid array. I do this using acronis true image and it works very well. With an image file you can restore the entire array, one file, one folder, etc. When using ssd drives, it is a good idea to occasionally secure erase the drives using Linux. If you have an image backup of the array, it makes this very easy; approx. a 5~10min procedure. I use parted magic Linux live for this task along with a LOT of other drive tasks.

Mr Davo

Hi crjdriver,

Thank you again - if you happen to find the article regarding the 7 series Intel Chipset, RAID & TRIM can you please share the link.

I will look into the software that you suggested as well, it sounds like you have a lot of experience in this area.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online