1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Center and a new external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Media Man, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I followed people's suggestions from the site here and bought an external hard drive to give me more storage capacity for recorded tv and for my music library. My internal hard drive is 78GB or so and it was always getting close to max capacity. Therefore I would need to erase shows to create more space. I bought a Seagate 750GB device, and it installed with great ease. I configured Media Center to save on the new hard drive when recording tv, but I am not sure about My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos. Should I even worry about these categories being on the external. I want the main system to runs as fast as possible. I am interested in people's opinions.

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

It depends on how many songs you keep on your system. My music library is some 20 gigs. I keep it on my external drive. The more free defragmented space you have on your drive the better your system will perform. So if you can keep your music library on your external drive, you should do that. A big check on the my videos. Save all of those to the external. Unless you have photoshop or you're a crazy photo nut your photos shouldn't really kill your performance. If any of those apply to you then save those to your external too.

Hard drives have this magic amount they can hold without draining the performance of your system. It's hard to guess it because the decrease in performance is so gradual you don't notice it until you think; I remember when this computer was a little faster.

3. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. If I transfer My Music contents to the external hard drive, will Media Center know where to find it? How do I configure it?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

750gigs with no backup? Must not like that data very much. ;)

5. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I do like the data, but does it make sense to back it up on the same hard drive? I am taking the video and music files off the the main to keep it operating smoothly.

The new problem is that at first everything works fine, maybe six hours, and then slowly the picture starts to pixelate and a soft electronic popping sound starts in the background. Finally the whole computer shuts down. When it tries to restart, it gets hung up in the Gateway intro screen. The only way to get the computer to restart completely is to unplug the USB to the external hard drive and manually start the computer. Once the computer has completely booted and is at the desktop, I can plug in the USB back in and everything works fine for another six hours or so. The Media Center error message says there was a driver error for new hardware. Sea Gate external hard drive uses an USB 2 connection. Sea Gate techs tell me this is not good enough for real time video file playback. They said I need to use an secondary internal hard drive.

Any thoughts my friends. This is new territory for me.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Data "backed up" on the same drive isn't really backed up. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice