1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Center: How do you stop watching a folder?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Fractalogic, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Hi there!

I have following folders configured for monitoring in Windows Media Center.

C:\Users\Public\Music
    C:\Users\Public\Pictures
    C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\
    C:\Users\Public\Videos
    C:\Users\Me\Music
    C:\Users\Me\Videos
    K:\2010_08_02

Now, I have removed C:\Users\Me\Pictures from the list because it contains just some comic strips and funny pictures I downloaded from the web, along with some pictures that came with the system I believe. I don't want to view that useless garbage on Media Center. So I have removed it from the list, but Media Center continues to display the pictures even after restartign it. Why is this?

Also, it seems that I cannot remove the public folders. They keep coming back. Why is this, and what can be done about it? I don't want to view those folders either.

I read something about renaming some database (db) file somewhere in the AppData folder, so that Media Center would rebuild the database upon the next time you start it. But I was unable to locate this file. What do you think about this approach? Is it really necessary?

2. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

So... what do you think? Is there a solution to this conundrum?

I see I got 131 views on this thread, but no one had the courage to answer and try to tackle the problem. Seriously? No one?... is the solution so obvious that you don't care to answer?... I don't get it.

I have done some further reading on the subject and it seems that Windows Media Center is sharing the same database as Windows Media Player to pull files from. I suspect other Windows Media components are somehow connected as well, such as Windows Photo Gallery.

I know for example that the Pictures folder is by default added to the Windows Photo Gallery, including all of its sub-folders. I tried removing it from Windows Photo Gallery, in hope that it will also remove it from Windows Media Center. But it would not budge!

If I right click a folder in Windows Photo Gallery and choose to remove it, I get the usual prompt whether or not I want to move the given folder to the recycle bin. Well of course I won't! What a stupid question, right? When all you want to do is remove it from the program window to make it stop pulling files from the actual folder. Later I learned that it doesn't work that way, what you see in Windows Photo Gallery are actual folders, not some indexed representations of them like in Lightroom and other real programs. And not only that, you can't remove folders in Windows Photo Gallery!

You can however add folders to Windows Photo Gallery. And if you add a folder from a different folder, other than the default Pictures folder, let's say a folder located on partition K: like in my example above, then you can remove this folder from the gallery only later on. But you can't do the same with the default folder Pictures. It's like hard coded.

So the extra folders you add later on to Windows Photo Gallery are actually only indexed, just like in Lightroom, Picasa and so on. So they are actually mixing actual file folders with virtual, indexed representation of folder contents of other folders. What an ugly design!! It's criminal! They should be brought to justice! It's also sad because this could have been a nice little program if they only did it right.

You can read more about it on the Windows support site. Here, knock yourself out: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...videos-are-displayed-in-Windows-Photo-Gallery

So these Windows Media programs are tied together... very strongly I believe. It's like one can't do without the other. Another funny thing is that you have very little to no control over the built-in UPnP media server. I think it's called Media Connect, but it has no actual interface, you control it through shared folders (public folders), and through Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center depending on which edition of Vista you got. Hurray! Haha! Lol! Oh Microsoft... when will you guys learn...

I will do some further reading on this subject. I'll let you know if I find any solution for this, I'm hoping for some kind of cheap workaround.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice