1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Center PC - Under TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fyzbo, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

Currently I have my TV connected to my old computer (bought 2002) which is running xp media center and has a remote. This works very well, but lately I find myself wanting faster hardware. I'd like to get a new computer, but since I know all it will do is play video/music I was hoping to get one more tailored to my needs. Something in a sleek case that won't look as awkward.

What are my options?

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

A PS3 :)

It just works. Don't be held to the misconception that it's only a games console.

If that's not your thing do you have a budget in mind? We can happily advise on building a silent media server.

Why are you wanting faster hardware by the way? Especially, if it's only a media server?

3. twizzie

twizzie

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133169&Tpk=Thermaltake+Bach+Media+Lab

That is something if you want to build it, and its very quiet. I do not have the time to type up the computer parts but, if you want to build it let me know. The playstation is also a very good choice, and its coming from someone that has one. Its absolutly silent, it has a big enough hdd to last forever, and best yet blu-ray, which is the leading blu-ray player because of its excellent compatibilty, quality, and speed.

4. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I'd like to upgrade as the current pc only has 120gb of hard drive space, 1gb of ram, a very loud fan, and is in a full tower. It looks pretty terrible sitting next to the tv stand. Sometimes media center can drag especially with long playlists.

How does a ps3 do with all the different codecs. Also can it connect to the network to share media?

5. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I initially had the Xbox360 to do exactly what you are doing but it really was pulling teeth. Music was fine -ish but visuals I gave up on. The PS3 on the other hand is self managing over WiFi or ethernet. New codecs get added on a regular basis, along with numerous other tweeks. I currently use the DivX codec regularly and it works a dream - close to using a dvd player. I dodn't use the PS3 for storage - I simple connect to the Microsoft media server running on here and all is there to see.
    The HDD is only 40G nowadays but this is easiliy replaced. It's a laptop HDD whick has it's own accessable docking port on the side.
    Sony are even letting users install their own OS (Linux) so where the future is leading I don't know. Is the PS3 expensive? I think not.

6. twizzie

twizzie

yea, you can connect to a media center through usb. So if you have an external hard drive, just connect it. They come in 40, 20, 60 and 80 gb. If I were you in the same position I would get a 40 gb for $399 and get a external hard drive about $100 for 500 gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154150

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice