1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Center video not playing correctly

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Enedwaith, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Enedwaith

Enedwaith Thread Starter

Vista Home Premium SP2
    In the past, I have used WMC to record some television programs. It's been many months (perhaps over a year) since I've used WMC, but tonight I went back to view some of those old recorded programs. I found that WMC will display the videos' information correctly and will play the audio of the videos correctly, but the video itself is simply a black screen. I tried some of the sample videos that are loaded with WMC and they too will play the audio but not the video.

I suspect there's a codec issue here, but need help understanding what to do.

Possible related issues: Not sure it these are related, but there are 2 other issues I am aware of. First, my browser will not play embeded video (audio yes but video is black just like WMC). I can view YouTube clips from the main site, but never embedded video. Second, the most recent security update for .NET 1.1 SP1 will not install. I just get an error code 643.

One last note, I did upgrade my video card a year ago and can't remember whether I ever used WMC after that change. Could the problem be related to this?

Can you help?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Manually update/reinstall the video drivers.

3. Enedwaith

Enedwaith Thread Starter

Ok downloaded the newest catalyst package with drivers. No change. There is no picture to my WMC videos.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    First, my browser will not play embeded video (audio yes but video is black just like WMC) <<< video embedded into a browser is supported by the engine used for playback. In most cases, it's Flash. But can also be Java or WMP. Test with a different browser, and ensure the player is up to date (ie: Flash or Java).

Second, the most recent security update for .NET 1.1 SP1 will not install. I just get an error code 643 <<< Uninstall .NET, reboot, and reinstall...and then patch

Video issues can be the video drivers, issues with DirectX, or the player itself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice