1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media centre locked drive - can't access itunes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vfwfw, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

After installing Media Centre I no cannot run itunes (getting an error saying that itunes is on a locked disk), settings cannot be saved for Chrome, I can't install programs (error 5: cannot access disk),and various other problems relating to the drive being locked. This has only happened since I setup Media Centre, and now I can't uninstall it. Any suggestions?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

try system restore first

3. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

Thanks daz1 but I have tried a few restore points and even if I go back several weeks (and restore points) prior I keep having similar issues. Some of the issues disappear (such as I am now able to install software)m however iTunes still won't work, and Chrome still won't save settings (ie. browsing history is not saved).

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What Media Centre?

What disk is locked--the C: "drive" on which Windows is installed, or a flash drive, or external hard drive?

6. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I was trying to setup Windows Media Centre. Still having issues with it, but that's taken a back seat (maybe permanently) until I get this issue sorted.

The error messages don't actually say which disk, however it must be the C: Drive given that some of the errors refer to saved settings (such as Internet history).

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You've mentioned 3 different programs that are completely independent: Windows Media Center, iTunes, and Chrome.

Are you getting errors with all 3? The same error? What error? It sounds like you probably have a hard drive problem.

8. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

Yes, there are actually more than the 3 programs I mentioned here that have similar issues. As I said in my original post, since installing Windows Media Centre, I have been getting similar problems with various programs, all referring to access issues with a 'locked drive'. It appears that Media Centre has somehow restricted access to my C: drive in some way that several, but not all, programs are having issues with. Either not being able to run at all (in the case of iTunes), or not being able to save settings (such as Chrome which can't save browser history).

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm curious about "installing Windows Media Centre." It is bundled with Windows 7 and is enabled by default.

10. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

Probably the wrong the terminology. What I was doing was setting it up, to access it through my X-box. Even though it is bundled with Windows 7 you still have to go through a setup process when you use it for the first time, and it was right after this process that I started having the problems.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks; I understand now. Maybe if you disabled Windows Media Centre it would undo the lock if that is what the cause was? Of course, when you re-enable it you may have to do the setup again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice