1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

media compatibility

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by groundj, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. groundj

groundj Thread Starter

I have created a mpeg movie for a business promo. When I make it into a cd it can be read on some pc's and not others. It appears that the user doesn't have the right codecs. How can I create the cd so that when I send it out to prospective clients I can be assured that they can all watch the movie.
    Thanks,

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. You can't, at least I don't think so. Your individual users need to install the correct codecs......

3. groundj

groundj Thread Starter

Thanks Candy,
    Is there a way to add the codec to the cd?

4. ~Candy~

What program are you using to view them with?

5. groundj

groundj Thread Starter

Windows Media Player

6. ~Candy~

Then they should be able to play it anyway as Windows Media player comes with the operating system....unless I'm way off base and simply missing something here. Do your users have WMP working otherwise?

7. groundj

groundj Thread Starter

They do but I think that they haven't upgraded their version. As I want to send the cd as a promotional video tool, I need to be able to have as many clients as possible be able to open it as simply as possible....????? Any thoughts Wonderwoman?

8. ~Candy~

Well, I guess you could load the newest version of WMP onto your cd :) I, myself am running an older version and I refuse to update as they keep loading more and more crap every time they update it ;)

I think my version is till 6.4 :eek:

9. groundj

groundj Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I'm using autorun from typhoon to create the start-up, I tried to include WMP in the autirun. But when I tested it it said that my movie was missing an element to view it. Yet when I tried to watch the movie off of the desktop it played fine. What files would I have to attach to WMP. Or is just the player enough.
    I really appreciate all of your input.
    Thanks,
    Ross

10. ~Candy~

Did it say which element?

I'm stepping outside of my usual hardware area here, so hopefully others will have some better ideas for you.

11. gws226

gws226

I'm not familiar with Typhoon, but does the auto-run options have the ability to automatically insert the codecs into the file?

Its tough to rely to on someone's PC for the correct player and codecs... (even if the player can send requests for codecs through the firewall) Some PCs just don't have the main players (windows Media, Real, and Quicktime)

Your best bet is get a stand alone player(ie: instead of relying on the foreigns PCs software... you ship the video and player together in one package) ... We have one here at our office that works great and I believe the 30 day free trial gives full functionality.

In a nutshell the program takes the player, the codecs, and the video and compresses into one .exe file. When the user plays the exe file (which can be set to autorun when burn it to CD) the program runs in its own player with codecs already there....

The one we use here is called Camtasia
    http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

You should be able to just insert your current video & audio into the program... select your codecs... and let everyone run it as an .exe.

Good luck,
    G

12. groundj

groundj Thread Starter

Thanks G,
    I'll let you know how it works out.
    RJ

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice