1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

media controls on keyboard

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by natedogg319, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natedogg319

natedogg319 Thread Starter

just wondering if anyone knows of some good programs that i can use to program my keyboard to do a lot of cool tricks, main ones being
    -i want to be able to control my music from the keyboard like, hit ctrl + s to skip track, or ctrl + p to pause. some keyboards have that built in, my new one doesnt.

-also i would like to be able to control my CD drive with the same method. example: hit ctrl + o to open drive.

i have tried a few macro programs but they were really lame. one just records what you do and repeats it when you command, that takes to long and i dont like watching the mouse move by itslef. any suggestions are welcome, thanks all!

2. stantley

stantley

The freeware scripting program I use all the time is AutoHotkey. It's tailor made for what you're trying to do.

To open a CD drive with ctrl + o the code would be:

^o::
    Drive, Eject, D:
    return

to close change the command to Drive, Eject, D:, 1

3. firestormer

firestormer

4. natedogg319

wow thanks for that suggestion and your thread you wrote on it was good, but im stuck on step 3. after i save keyhook.ahk and click it the green H doesnt show up in my taskbar. (i only click things once, instead of doubleclicking if that matters, which it shouldnt.) i tried moving on and skipping that step but things didnt work the way they were supposed to.

4. A window will appear, in the window click View> Key History and Script Info

5. The window will change and it will show a list of the keys pressed since you started the script.
    Press your hot key now
    Press F5

6. The window will have refreshed and at the bottom you will see somwthing like this:
    Code:

54 014 d 4.77 T
    54 014 u 0.09 T
    74 03F d 0.75 F5
    Press [F5] to refresh.

i would love to get this program working so i would appreciate any help. thanks everyone.

5. stantley

stantley

Yes, you should double-click on the .ahk file to get it running. Also if it doesn't show in the system tray click on the << symbol to Show Hidden Icons and see if it's there.

6. firestormer

firestormer

Try trying a slightly older version of AutoHotkey

7. natedogg319

stantley, i have windows set up so that i only have to click files once to activate them, i should have elaborated before, i couldnt find the right words lol, and my tray is set up to show all icons, none are hidden. thanks for helping.
    firestormer, i will look for an older version thanks for the suggestion.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice