Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Media Creation Tool problem

Solved 
1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Goddess-Bastet 
#1 ·
My Lenovo laptop has some issues with connecting to the internet so I was trying to reset it. I downloaded Media Creation Tool via using another computer and transferring by USB so I can preserve my games and other apps. However, when opening the app, I get a 2 sec pop up where it says windows and then after that it says, "There was a problem running this tool.
Things I've tried:
Enabling services
Running as admin
Changing region in ctrl panel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe the media creation tool is meant to be run on a computer with an internet connection so it will download the windows files onto the USB. Also you should not be running the tool while it's on the USB as the USB will be formatted.

Since this is a branded machine, it should have a recovery partition. To reset your PC to its factory default settings on Windows 10, just open the Settings app and head to Update & Security > Recovery. Click or tap the "Get Started" button under "Reset this PC. This should also have the Keep Files option. Source: How To Geek

Note: Any attempt to reset your pc will remove all apps, so you will need to reinstall your games.

#3 ·
Please read this https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/windows-10-media-creation-tool.html
starting with Use Windows Media Creation Tool to Upgrade Your PC.
Then go here and read,
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You have downloaded something for use on another computer. You can't simply transfer what you downloaded to a USB stick. You have to have the USB stick inserted into the computer you are downloading to. It is an ISO file. It either has to be "burned" to the USB stick or burned to a CD/DVD, before you put the USB stick into the Lenovo.

#5 ·
PoppinDeluxe:

The 18.5 MB-size Media Creation Tool is used to create a USB flash drive which contains Windows 10.
After the tool is downloaded and saved, a working internet connection is needed in the computer that you're using.
It's then a matter of running the tool and following the instructions so you can create a USB flash drive which contains Windows 10.
Once that's done, you can install Windows 10 in your laptop with that USB flash drive.

I wouldn't hold much hope in doing an "upgrade" install and/or preserving your games and apps.
You probably will need to do a "clean" install and get a fresh start in your laptop.

-------------------------------------------------

#11 ·
When you created the media did you just transfer the media creation tool files to the USB or did you choose to create installation media within the tool?
If you chose to create USB media did you deselect the default settings & choose to create for another PC?
You should be able to install Windows from the tool without an internet connection - you would choose not to scan for updates during install.

#12 ·
Also check to see if Windows firewall is disabled or enabled. Try disabling it then enabling it.
Try sfc & DISM:
Right click on start & choose powershell with admin & enter:
SFC /SCANNOW
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

#13 ·
The model name is still a Lenovo Yoga 510, Model No. 80S7 and serial number is MP1884UP.
You have THIS Lenovo Yoga 510-14ISK Machine Type Model 80S700EEAD 2-in-1 Laptop which was purchased in March 2017.
You should add and save its support site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can make use of it when needed.
Wait for the support site to completely load, then make use of the headings and links there.

#16 ·
PoppinDeluxe:
You cannot simply use that 18.5 MB-size MediaCreationTool21H1.exe file "as is" to upgrade or install Windows 10.
You need to run that executable file and then follow the instructions for creating a bootable install USB flash drive.
Liz provided you with a very good pictorial guide HERE that you can follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.