Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jomyjohnjohn

Hi all,
First off, thank your for your time. Appreciate it.
I was recently given a laptop for home use. Very old machine from 2008 running Vista. It was previously used by a friend who was Korean so all the software was in Korean. I reinstalled windows on it since changing regional settings did not work out. Anyways, after reinstalling it I tried to access the internet and it does not connect (when it previously did before the re-install).

Below is the spec sheet for my laptop:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft¢ç Windows Vista¢â Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit, Build 6001, Installed 20090321070847.000000+240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 3 GB
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1292 MB
Hard Drives: C: 142 GB (120 GB Free); D: 143 GB (125 GB Free);
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. R520/R522/R620, ver Not Applicable, s/n 123490EN400015
System: Phoenix Technologies Ltd., ver SECCSD - 6040000, s/n ZJD293BS800108
Antivirus: None

The computer connects to the router and the router has internet access

I've also attached a screenshot of what I'm getting when I run ipconfig. Basically the WLAN adapter is connected and I'd also manually updated the driver. Previously flushed DNS too. But other than the WLAN everything else says Media disconnected.

I'm supposed to use this laptop to work from home after a break without a job for 5 months. Cant be a dummy and not have a laptop tomorrow for my first day of work since forever.

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Once in a great while a networking adapter will work with a static IP configuration after losing its ability to obtain a dynamic address. Since yours did not, change back to 'obtain IP auto' to make additional troubleshooting easier.

IPv6 can cause problems with Vista. Probably not the issue here, but it may be.

How to disable IPv6 in Windows Vista/Windows 7

IPv6 is enabled by default. It can be disabled by uninstalling the IPv6, or different IPv6 features may be enabled or disabled individually by setting the following registry value (probably have to add the parameter--DWORD type):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

The value can be the combination (logical or) of the following values:
1 Disable tunnel interfaces
2 Disable 6to4
4 Disable ISATAP
8 Disable Teredo
16 Disable LAN and PPP interfaces
32 Set preference of IPv4 over IPv6
255 Disable IPv6 completely​

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
The above probably did not help, so I'll post some more.

Are you able to connect via ethernet and successfully access the internet? If so, do it! If not you will need another computer to download some stuff for you, unless you can figure out a way to do so with tablet or smart phone.

Get the latest wireless driver from the PC manufacturer's web site and install it.

Update to Service Pack 2. If still do not have a good wireless connection install that latest correct driver again.

Install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)

jomyjohnjohn

Yes Im able to connect via Ethernet. I guess I'll just use that for tomorrow. I'll be using it from 9 to 5 sitting on my kids kiddie stool as the only cable I have is like 2 feet long. FML.

Also, couldn't I uncheck the ipv6 on the internet setting instead of accesing it via the registry?

TerryNet

Terry
Also, couldn't I uncheck the ipv6 on the internet setting instead of accesing it via the registry?
I used the registry, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember enough to say any more about it. I think that one or both of the other two (install correct driver and update to SP2) are the most likely to fix the ailment. Now that you have ethernet access try them today. If your internet bandwidth is poor, at least try the driver.

Couriant

James
So it works with Ethernet and not wireless? Did you check the DNS settings? the IPCONFIG /ALL command will show detailed network information.

jomyjohnjohn

Do have a look at the screenshot. Already ran ipconfig /all and got 'media disconnected'

jomyjohnjohn

I've decided to just use the laptop with the Ethernet and chuck it when I get my office laptop. Thanks for your replies. #stayinside #staysafe

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome. :)

Remember to get up and walk around for a couple minutes every hour. Your legs could get awfully cramped on the kiddie stool.

Couriant

James
Do have a look at the screenshot. Already ran ipconfig /all and got 'media disconnected'
That was only an IPCONFIG, not with the /all switch. Just make sure that the DNS server information is not set to a specific server.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online