1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media home network ideas?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vaugith, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaugith

vaugith Thread Starter

Hey there guys, Im moving this weekend, and my new roommates and I want to set up a network to do some fancy stuff.

Heres what we have (im not leaving anything out):
    Internet
    high speed modem
    wireless router
    three laptops (each of us roomates has one)
    desktop with two HDDs and decent speakers(wireless)
    three TVs (one large, two small, all old)
    xbox 360 (no wifi)
    PS3 (wifi)
    Iphone (no service, I just use it as a ipod + a itunes remote for desktop
    All the cables I could need

What I want:
    Ideally I would like a way to store videos and music on my desktop and stream them to the laptops and PCs around the appt.

Where Im at:
    What Im looking at is a wired connection to the xbox, all the rest wireless, The PS3 on the big TV and the Xbox on one of the smaller ones. Id put all of my media on the second HDD of the desktop. Some kind of software or mod to stream video to the xbox and ps3 to play videos on the tvs, and using the iphone as a remote to play music off of the desktop.

Im on a low budget here, so please, no 500 dollar airwave devices or anything... Ive never really messed with media servers before, but would consider it if it would give me the desired effect. All the computers are currently on win7, but if the server would work better on linux or something, I do have experience with that.

What Im asking for is basically ideas of software and possibly cheap hardware that would accomplish this stuff. Thanks for any input!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you have all you need and on windows 7 - you have a media server -
    so you do not need much just share the desktop HDD with a media service like Windows Media server
    or you can use one of the free services
    firefly
    tversity

I use TVersity to stream video to a Humax and TV works very well
    I use a Router with a USB 1TB harddrive comapatable DLNA server twonky and serve music to TV / Humax and stereo system

In the past I have used firefly which has worked great for music

TVersity only had for a few days and finding it works very well

so you should be OK to not have to spend anything and get what you described

I have a WAG320N Linksys router with the USB harddrive connected using twonky firmware which serves as a DLNA server for music
    then wireless to a Edimax Wireless Access point which is then connected to the TV and Humax PVR via ethernet
    so all music and Videos are streamed wirelessly around the house - with NO problems at all

3. vaugith

vaugith Thread Starter

Im looking at this twonky program right now and it might just solve most of my problems. Why do you use firefly + TVersity if you have twonky? It sounds like it does everything. How do you like it?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    twonky is a firmware program on my router and runs on the attached USB drive and supplied music to all the house
    I used firefly before I got the router with USB and used it to connect to various libraries on Laptops and PC supplying music to a roku device over wireless - firefly nolonger used since i have router with twonky

The TVersity - I have just started to play with in the last few weeks , as i have interent connected TV and PVR and can stream video to those devices , but the support for video is types is quite small and TVersity converts on the fly - so I can stream .flv files without having to convert to mp4

so your right twonky should be enough - not sure of the PC version , as i say its part of the linksys wag320n router firmware and installs onto the attached USB harddrive

5. geek117

geek117

Just install Orb on the desktop, create an account. Voila. You've got a local/remote streaming device. Add whatever folders you want it to stream, and you can access it at home from ps3/xbox, or remotely @ www.orb.com

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice