1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media lag after new hdd installed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Renamed&Closed51, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renamed&Closed51

Renamed&Closed51 Account Closed Thread Starter

Hello there,

Here's the story. Old HDD gave up the ghost (4 years old, fair enough). Decided to buy a 300gb WD Velociraptor, as well as a PCi wireless card to replace my old belkin dongle.

Installed win7 64bit Pro today, everything went smoothly. Drivers for everything are up to date and installed.

Am running a dual monitor setup, and am watching some videos that I have ripped from my futurama dvds - these are kept on a separate hard drive - while installing games such as EVE online, and World of Warcraft (WoW by pulling the mpq files off the disc onto the desktop, then installing with the launcher, a valid way of installation for this game).

However, video and audio now stutter - this happens even when the computer is idling - and never used to happen with my previous installs of win7.

I am at a loss. This has never happened before - it happens most frequently while my DVD drive is active.

Temps are all fine, cooling is adequate, case was cleaned when I put the new hardware in.

It 'feels' like a bottleneck, like the computer is struggling to route the data from the media HDD, but I dont see why.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II BE x3, overclocked to 3.2ghz - (this clock has been stable for a year)
    4gb OCZ1600 RAM, downclocked to 1333 with 6-6-6-25(1t) (stable for a year)
    Gigabyte motherboard, MA790XT UD4P
    2x ATi HD4870 running in CrossFire
    Lynksys Dual-band PCI Wireless-N adapter, connected to a wireless G network (I know, I know - but I'm future-proofing myself)

1x 300gb WD Velociraptor 10k-rpm - new Windows boot drive
    1x WD 1tb drive (media drive, music, videos etc)
    1x 300gb drive with the OLD windows install present - divided into two partitions.
    Cant recall the DVDRW make, but it is fairly recent and is nothing 'special'.

Any tips appreciated.

2. Renamed&Closed51

Renamed&Closed51 Account Closed Thread Starter

Update:

Removing the wireless card seems to have improved the situation vastly, but I would like to do without a wireless dongle.

Any suggestions as to 1) why this happened, and 2) how I can make it work?

My thanks

(edit) Fresh install, without the wireless card. I'll try the card again tomorrow, but any advice would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice