1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Player 11 not playing WMVs 7,8,9 encoded videos?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rofus, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rofus

rofus Thread Starter

Hi all,

I installed Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, but I have a problem with Windows Media. I have lots of WMV videos I encoded with Windows Media Encoder (using Windows Video codec 7,8 or 9). I also downloaded some videos from internet, always encoded with previous WMV video codecs (7-9).

I always receive an error from Windows Media 11 saying that there's an error, not founding a compatible codec to play it. Did you ever had a problem like this? I need to encode a video, compatible with Vista, without the need for the computer to be connected to the internet to download additional codecs.

Any hint?

Thanks,

R

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I've noticed that its always checking for the codec even if its a straight .wmv file. Vista just isn't making the grade yet (unless D+ is an acceptable grade). I think its actually running through some DRM checking before playing anything personally and it has most of the codecs at hand without going online to check for them, especially with the very well known and supposedly "native" formats. Its really a poor performing peice of software right now.

Nonetheless, it shouldn't be having any problem playing previous versions of .wmv encoded files so I don't know what the problem is there but I'd suggest trying the VLC Media Player as a replacement player. So far I've had no problems with it on my Vista platforms.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice