media player default

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PsychoDad

I want to use Windows Media Player as my default player for all wmv,avi,mpeg,etc. But I can't seem to get the settings right to do this. I unchecked all of those extensions for the Quick Time player & showed the windows media player as my preference under helper applications on Netscape, but it still downloads all of these (except for wmv) with the quick time player. What am I missing?

Try opening windows media player. Go to tolls/options and click the "file types" tab check all that you want to be associated with windows media player. If that doesnt work you can take a more invasive method. Go to control panel/folder options, and click on the "file Types" tab. Here you can pick a file type and press the change button. It will allow you to change the file type association. Please be careful when using this method if you associate a file type with media player and its a crucial operating system extension you could really mess up your computer. Also you can right click on the music/video file and go to open with, choose program, there is a little box that you can check that says always use this program for this file type, check it then click apply then ok.

PsychoDad

When I right click I don't have the option of which program to use to open the file. I'm using Windows XP pro. does that make a differance? I seem to remember seeing that option when I'd right click before, but I think I had Windows 98 at that time.

is the wmplayer set as your default player in the "set access and default section"?

PsychoDad

Yes it is, and as long as I use Internet Explorere these files open with the windows media player, I only have the problem in Netscape.

Couriant

James
It shouldn't matter what player you are in. Are you watching the video files in an Internet Explorer Window?

PsychoDad

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. What I'm saying is that even though I have windows media player as my default player, when I'm downloading movies (other than wmv files) from the Netscape browser, they play in quicktime instead of in the windows media player

Couriant

James
Is the files associated to WMP? You can look at it in the File Types in the Options section of WMP. You can also deselect them from QuickTime if you wish. Worse case scenario, uninstall QT.

PsychoDad

That's what I did, and believe it or not, even after uninstalling quick time, the movies are still playing on quick time. How is that possible?

Couriant

James
I need to see what's going on. If QT is uninstalled it should not be running in Qt, unless the file you are downloading is actually running in an IE window. If that is the case then the file is using the QT plug-in

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online