Media Player Digial Playback Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Midnexus

Hello there, I am new to this website but hope to help anyone if I can while I hang out and try to fix my own problems.

I have 2 CD-ROM drives in my PC. Upon receipt and up until 3 days ago they had no problem with digital playback whatsoever. Visualizations worked and everything.

Then, 3 days ago I tried to play an audio CD and got a dialog box stating that it could not playback the CD digitally. The reason behind this I cannot discern. Same for both drives.

Now when WMplayer tries to play my CDs in analog, there is no sound b/c my PC is not configured to in that manner. If I max the volume I can barely hear it, but its not the way it was before.

When I try to select digital playback from the Tools menu in WMplayer, I get the same dialog when I try to play it. I haven't installed any other progs that play music and don't know what has catalyzed this annoying problem.

I would appreciate any insight anyone has. I'm not afraid to brave the registry or anything like that, so bring it on! Thanks.

You might try restoring the registry to the day before the problem started but I don't know if that'll fix it though. It's up to you to decide if you want to try it. If you installed any programs since the problem started and you decide to try the registry restore, you may have to reinstall those programs since you may lose the registry entries for them depending on what date you choose from the list of registry copies.

Win98...

Start your computer and keep pressing the F8 key, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command and then press ENTER. At the C: prompt type scanreg /restore and then press ENTER. There's a space between the g and /. Then select a registry dated the day before the problem started and then press ENTER. NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

WinME...

Insert your Windows ME boot diskette, restart the PC. It should boot to the boot diskette and display a boot menu with 4 options. Take the option for "Minimal Boot". Enter the following commands and press enter after each.

c:
scanreg /restore

Now use the up/down arrows to highlight a registry backup dated the day before the problem started and follow the prompts to restore it. When your prompted to Start Windows with the restored registry, remove the boot disk and follow the prompts to start Windows.

Midnexus

I wish I had known that the registry was only backed up for the preceding 5 days. I wouldn't have waited until today to try your advice...

However, I searched the registry and found the following key(s):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\CDROM\0000

&

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\CDROM\0001

[my presumption is that there are two b/c I have 2 CD drives]

Each of these keys have the values

DigitalAudioPlay = 07

If anyone does in fact believe that this could be the cause of my problem, then what should I change the value to?

I came to the discovery this weekend that my CD drives are NOT actually even connected for digital to the soundcard. There are no wires inside the case to connect to the digital outs (2-pin) but the 4-pin analog connectors were always there.

The company (iDOT.com) that built my PC must have used some kind of trick to make it work digitally in the first place. That must have come undone somehow, so I'm assuming it can be redone.

As far as reasons for this, I am puzzled. I did have a program called X-Teq that f'ed with the registry installed that has since been uninstalled. I still have a log file with all the alterations it made recorded.

Any insight is, once again, appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online