1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Player Playlists

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by wolfworx, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I just bought another MP3 player (MP4 Multimedia). At $12.95 with 7 GB storage it was cheap enough and I had no big problem transferring my MP3 music from computer to device. Sound is satisfactory. Some features such as FM radio and e-books are not needed and several desirable features appear to be missing.

Instructions included were absolutely minimal. No CD was included but I did find a manual for the device on the internet.

Controls:

There are only four navigation buttons and one volume button. Navigation works but is difficult and frustrating.

Screen is color 1"x1.5", but displays a boring "mixer graphic" when music is playing. It does not display the album cover picture included with most MP3 files or other more useful information on the selection playing.

Display stays on for only 8 seconds when no button has been pressed and there seems to be no way to increase this. 20 seconds would be more useful without chewing up battery time.

Playlist. My other MP3 player allows you to create true Playlists, not rearranging the music library to "playlist" folders, but rather creating a list that "points" to music selections. I can create "playlist folder" and copy selections to it, but that is inefficient and wastes space.

Oh well, the device was cheap enough.:rolleyes:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is this a review? Or do you have question? Is there an exact model number for this unit?

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Not exactly a review. No model number it is simply identified as "MP4 Multimedia". In fact, I found a manual under that name on the internet. I guess my question is "Does anyone else have similar experiences with other low cost MP3 players? How did they work around some of the negatives?"

To name a plus, the amount of memory in this unit is a deal for the price. I can get most of my music on it!

I had a 20 GB Dell DJ that I bought for $150 ten or more years ago, but it failed due to a switch wearing out and Dell no longer supports the device. I found a sort of workaround that enabled me to use it. I connected it to the Dell DJ software on my computer and was able to set up playlists on it. This enabled me to listen to the playlist selections on the road.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Post a picture of the player so I can figure out what no-name brand you have.

Is the word menu anywhere on the unit? I assume you have a wheel type thing with arrows to select items. Some have menu on the wheel.

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

OK here it is. It is from the manual for this player.
    MP4DigitalPlayer.jpg

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    When you press the menu button then the left or right arrow, what headings do you get?
    For example, my Clip+ has
    Settings
    Music
    slotRadio
    FMRadio
    Voice

Under Settings I have other settings that allows me to change the amount of time the screen stays on, amount of time music plays on a sleep timer (under System Settings) also Music Options (to create playlists), Audiobook Options and Radio Options.

What color is your mp4 player? What color is the wheel? That also can determine the brand.

It might be this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/8GB-Player-Radio-Colours-Vary-May/dp/B002K4A65S
    some have IBrightspot on the body of the player and others don't.

7. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

That is the one. In blue. IBrightspot???

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I think so. Let me see if I can find better instructions.

When someone asked about creating playlists, this was the answer:
    Put music into folders with about an hours worth of music on and do play music that way .....

Someone posted these directions when asked about instructions but I can't figure out what he was trying to explain in the runon phrase
    This video shows the person running a finger around the ring to get to a menu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f583_L0NhTs

This may be the same manual you found. It is 23 pages.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Not sure why it did not attach. 2nd attempt at attaching the pdf manual.
    It's too large.

Here is a link to it
    Code:
    http://www.walagata.com/w/perk/Mp3_Mp4_Manual.pdf
    Let me know if you got it so I can remove it from my paid storage.

10. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

That's the one I have -- 23 pages.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Page 11 describes how to create playlists.
    If it works, then the manual matches your mp3/mp4 player. If it doesn't work, then unfortunately, that manual isn't for your device and I'm not sure I can find a different manual.

12. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Yes, page 11 describes creating playlists, assumeing we are connecting to a computer and syncing with Windows Media Player. Playlists created are the *.wpl type which is useful on the local computer, but not on the MP3 player. Alas, there does not appear to be any way to create a playlist to play remotely on this device.

Also, connecting to computer feature is a bit inconsistent and erratic, but it eventually works. Well, I got about 4GB of music in the thing and I can listen to it on long drives and health club work outs -- what more can i expect for $12.00?

Thanks for your continued interest.

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That's probably true.
    My SanDisk Clip+ is very versatile but I spent $30 for it. I also liked the fact that I did not have to use WMP to move songs around. I just use Windows Explorer to move mp3 files off and on.
    It also has a slot so I can add additional storage that way.
    We liked it so much that eventually I bought a 2nd one so my husband didn't have to borrow mine. (Reading reviews on a newer model the Clip Zip, I knew I didn't want the new and improved model).

14. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Well prices have come down since I bought my Dell DJ 20 GB for $140, but it was a unit with some heft to it in a sturdy metal case.

I really loved it. It was easy to use and navigate. It had its own software to create playlists and arrange selections.

It failed after about 6 years of use and Dell stopped supporting it. Storage was on a 2x2.5" disk drive which crapped out. Had trouble with scrolling thumb switch as well. Most of the stuff on it I had stored somewhere else so I didn't lose anything but a few audio books that I had already listened to.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice