1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Player?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by colman77, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colman77

colman77 Thread Starter

I FINALLY got a new computer, and I've decided to turn over a new leaf in the media player department. In the past, I have used...
    - Windows Media Player
    - Real Player (blehhhhhh)
    - Music Match
    - Winamp

I was happiest with Winamp, but I felt like it still left something to be desired. Where should I turn next? iTunes is the first thing that comes to mind... but I'd rather not go that route, because I'm not a big fan of Apple nor DRM... watching all of my MP3s turn into AACs would be too much to bear.

So What are my other options? What have you all had success with?

Thanks everyone, as usual.

2. coachdan32

coachdan32

SonicStage from Sony is very good. You'll have to surf to find it - I got my copy with an mp3 player we purchased from Sony.

3. smeegle

smeegle

Check out Nero on this site http://www.5dollarsoftware.com/ It is legal. It does work. It is much better than Media Player or Music Match. You can also upgrade to the more expensive version if you like.

4. lister

lister

Hmm, long time Winamp user here, but let's see.

There's XMplay
    http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html
    haven't used it, but has some decent reviews.

Media player classic - but not built to play multiple music files. I use it to play the odd file that another media player can't (quictime, reall etc).

5. colman77

colman77 Thread Starter

ohhhhhhhhhhhh right. I forgot one other qualifier: it must be free.

6. curiouscat

curiouscat

I think winamp's the greatest when it comes to music and Media Player Classic and VLC for videos. They're both top-notch, with MPC being just simpler. :)

For pictures and such, I've always been happy with what Windows came with, but use IrfanView to look at the pictures it wont support.

7. irregularjoe

irregularjoe

colman77.
    You do not have to use AAC format in iTunes.
    I have 7 gigs of music files and not one of them is AAC. All are Mp3.
    Just select MP3 in the iTunes preferences before you rip your music.
    Joe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice