1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Player9 eating my computer HELP

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by caillagh, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caillagh

caillagh Thread Starter

I have lost use of my CD-Rom and CD/RW and the trouble seems to be with Media Player9. This is the second time in just months that I am at the point of doing a complete Fdisk and rebuild and before doing so want to understand what has happened. I have been reading about this version of Media Player and realize that it is likely what took my computer out a few months ago. My motherboard died just after I did THAT particular rebuild and so I blamed the problems on a failing motherboard. I don’t think so now and could use …..HELP!

I completely rebuilt my system December 15th. Everything was running beautifully and then, while recording a music CD onto my HDD something failed and the computer rebooted itself; there were no messages, the cd had not finished recording and the system simply rebooted. After restart the My Computer screen was blank and explorer had to search for content. It eventually found most of my programs but both my CD drives were missing. Uninstalling and then reinstalling them both recovered their use and everything appeared to be well. A day later while loading a software program it happened again (midway through loading the system hung and rebooted) and this time I lost complete use of the drives and nothing brought them back. I tried everything and nothing was helping so, have so recently rebuilt thought that maybe I was careless somewhere in loading the software and did a complete Fdisk and Format and rebuilt the system all over again. Now we are back to that same place again and I am very frustrated. I have very few software programs and loaded each one extremely carefully.

The bios sees the drives and drive properties say that they are working fine. Any media type inserted in either drive is not read and it makes no difference if I try to see it through Media Player9, Run or My Computer. In fact, if I insert anything into either CD drive, it will cause the system to hang until I get a " X is not responding" message (the "X" will relate to whichever route I take in to try to read any media in either CD player). If I do a Task Manager Quit, I lose the contents of My Computer every time. If I reboot, explorer finds everything and all will be well until I try to use the CD players. Media Player9 reads and plays anything stored on my HDD perfectly well and doesn't seem to have any trouble with internet media.

After reading on this and other sites about how dreadful Media Player9 is, I did a Add/Remove of Media Player9 and installed Real Player, thinking that would resolve the problem. Nope, still no CD player usage and worse, I now realize that not all Media Player9 files were removed and I have probably really messed up the registry!

I read through most of this site and found a suggestion for a complete removal for Media Player9 but it appears to require use of the disk player to remove Media….I don’t have CD-rom capacity right now. I downloaded two registry tools someone recommended, Registry Mechanic and Error Guard but neither has improved anything and at this point I wonder if I have only made things worse. I can see, in both tools, errors all over the place with Media Player9 and migration issues with the CD players. I asked the tools to do the recommended repairs but the system is still unusable. While I feel comfortable loading software and testing it for conflicts, I am not a tremendously capable software tech and don’t feel comfortable going into Regedit and doing fixes on my own. The few Logs that I have some skill at getting into show error messages but I truly wouldn't know how to change anything from what I am reading.

I’m more than happy to get rid of Media Player9 if that is the problem. I upgraded to it simply because it was a recommended upgrade many months ago and, having not had problems with Media Player7, I simply never thought about it. I would move to any other player gladly, though I am told that most online sites use Media Player and that I cannot do without it. I know from past experience that Media Player and WinAmp fight with each other so dual-loading wouldn’t seem the solution.

Can anyone help with this nightmare? I don’t demand much from my computer. I am a sheep farmer and use this machine to store a tremendous amount data and photos, process farm reports and sales brochures. I don’t play games (no time, lol) but do store my music to HDD so that I can entertain my tired brain while working on reports. If I have to do a complete rebuild, I would like this problem to go away and not return.

Thanks in advance. Cynthia

Software in computer:

Windows 2000Pro, Office 2000Pro, Norton Internet Security 2005

ThumbsPlus 4.0, Photoshop 6, Adobe 6.0, and a small web-developer photo program –EasyThumbnails,

I rarely ever use Explorer, never use Outlook. My browser is Netscape 7.2

Herd-Logic 3000 is a livestock database program

Media Player9 I loaded RealPlayer10 two days ago trying to fix this problem.

TurboTax, PK Zip, The Weather Channel. Only other software is the set that came with my Epson CX6400 Printer (PhotoPrint, Scan, Scan to fax, Smart Panel and ArcSoft Suite) and the Creative CD/RW (NTI CD-Maker 2000 and NTI Backup!). Though I lost the 5" floppy years ago, I have an ancient family game program -Best of Windows Entertainment Programs- that I have managed to copy and move to each of my new computers over the years....my granddaughter's favorites are in there.

I just loaded in Error Guard and Registry Mechanic. I actually paid for Error Guard and will probably just toss them both.

Hardware:

Brand new motherboard bundle: Shuttle/Nforce2 MN31L, AMD Sempron 2500. Since I was rebuilding, I installed 2 brand new Kingston PC3200 512mb DDR. To keep this system simple I decided to use the onboard video, sound and LAN. I did not alter much in the Bios on this new board, mostly common settings, and I never overclock or change these types of settings.

I store my programs on my Primary Master HDD (Western Digital 80g) and all my data, photos and music on Primary Slave HDDD (IBM “Death” Star 30g…don’t ask…I know I need to replace this, that’s another story). My Secondary Master is a Memorex Cd-Rom (52X) and my Secondary Slave is a Creative CD/RW (12/10/32X).

I have DSL (256) and to help with the hackers, have a Linksys WRT 54G sitting in between my DSL provider’s modem and my computer (I don’t use the wireless aspect of the Linksys, it was the only model available out here in deep country).

2. t bone

t bone

when the problem happened, was that the first time you recorded since dec 15?

i use wmp10 and winamp both with no problem
    real player usually comes with spyware.

3. caillagh

caillagh Thread Starter

No, actually in all three cases the failures began after installing critical updates for Media Player9. I am realizing most of this in hindsight. In each case I began having small hitches with Media Player after critical updates and then the complete failures would happen. Given Microsoft's history, I generally feel compelled to install critical updates but nearly never downloaded any others. Media Player7.x never gave me any trouble at all.

4. finwood

finwood

You can remove Windows Media Player by going to Add/Remove Programs and clicking on the Add/Remove Windows Components. I figured that out when it would randomly and frequently come on with DVD movies, and promts to apply new skins. I haven't missed it at all.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Couple tips:

Registry cleaners and error fixes can cuase as many problems as they can fix or simply don't really work at all.

RealPlayer is pure garbage.

Try installing the latest Nforce drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win2k_4.27

You can also try this registry edit to restore CD access:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe from Start -> Run).

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Check for updates and patches to the software you are running specifically the CD burner software(NTI, etc).

You must also install the latest Service Pack for Windows 2000(SP4). Go to Windows Update under IE -> Tools -> Windows Update and download any updates.

6. killah

killah

Herd-Logic 3000 is a livestock database program

now i just find that funny :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice