1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jfsbird, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jfsbird

Jfsbird Thread Starter

I am trying to set up media sharing from my dell xps m1530 running windows vista with windows media player 11 to my xbox 360. In following the directions provided in the help files you open media player, click the library drop down menu, then click media sharing. to start media sharing you check the check box next to "share my media". at this point i click ok, and then nothing happens, the media sharing window remains open and the ok button becomes greyed out but then nothing. the next step says there should be another menu where selection of allowable devices could take place but i never see this option. i had media sharing setup with my older laptop that was also running WMP 11 so I've done this before with no problems. I have tried deleting the DRM files to no avail. I have also reset the services that i was informed were needed to share media, including SSDP Discovery, UPnP device host and the Windows Media Player Network sharing service. I feel confident it is a localized problem and not a network issue. i tried the setup on my sisters HP laptop running Vista and WMP 11 and it worked right away. any insights would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jfsbird

Jfsbird Thread Starter

Still haven't found a solution to this problem. Any one have any ideas? Please?

3. nessyguin

nessyguin

In the absence of any replies from more qualified members (I dont even own an XBox) I'll throw in the suggestion that your firewall may be blocking the share . I'm assuming your sister's laptop successfully connected with the XBox through the same router and there's no IP conflict . Sorry I cant offer more help than that but it's a free bump if nothing else :)

4. jeff_win_team

jeff_win_team

Hi jfsbird,
    Since you are running Vista I would suggest using Windows Media Center to stream media onto your xbox 360. There are tons of additional features to enhance your media viewing and listening experience available with Windows Media Center as well. Follow the tutorial found in the link below and you should be connected in no time.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/xbox360.mspx
    Good Luck!
    Jeff
    Windows Outreach Team

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice