Media State Disconnected IP problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xheatherlynn

I'm trying to connect two computers to the internet. I'm using a Motorola SB4101 modem and a D-Link DI-514 router. When I input the ip address that the router manual tells me to do, it won't work. I called D-Link and they TRIED to guide me through the setup process, but they said that there's something wrong with my TCP/IP thingy. Sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly or using the correct words. I'm new at this router stuff. But I did plug the ethernet cables correctly. I'm just having problems seting up the router. Can someone help me with this media state disconnected IP problem?

First things first...

If you dont have a configuration on there already (VPN or something special) i would say just reset the router. Their should be a small button on the back (or somewhere, RTFM) of the router. I would guess it is a press and hold until lights blink and then it should be reset.

After that, make sure that you have YOUR computer on the same subnet as the router's default subnet***. I.E. if the directions say to point your browser at 192.168.0.1 then you need to change the IP of your computer to something like 192.168.0.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This will put your computer in the same subnet (or address block) as the router.

After you have reset the router, and put yourself in the subnet you should be able to access the router (via http).

*** Note: Some routers after they are reset will automatically enable DHCP for clients to get their IP address. If this is the case with yours... all you would need to do AFTER you reset the router: make sure your IP is set to obtain IP automatically. (Network Connections > Right click the adapter > properties > TCP/IP > properties > Obtain automatciall). If it already is then open up Run (under the Start menu) and type in CMD. Then type in ipconfig /release followed up with ipconfig /renew. This will re-acquire an address so you can access the router...

I hope that points you in the right direction. If you have any problems shoot me an email.

wis

If it says Media Disconnect then you DO NOT have the correct cables plugged in correctly. Or, the cable is bad. But if you can get past that, you should be good to go.

wis

Did you power off the modem before you hooked up the router to the modem?

If not....

Shutdown ALL the computers, power down the router and modem for about 5 mins., (unplug the router and modem if they don't have a on/off switch).

Power up in this order, Modem - wait about two mins. minimal for it to stabilize, power up router - wait about two mins. minimal for it to stabilize, boot up your PC's one at a time allowing enough time for it to acquire a connection before booting up the next one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online