1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Test Failed, Comp. cycles through on and off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TaiLova, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TaiLova

TaiLova Thread Starter

Hey guys was wondering if anyone could help fix my problem. I have a hpd530s small form factor, and when I moved into my new apartment and plugged in my computer, it immediately turned off. A few days later I got it to turn and then I got a "media test failed, check cable error". I read all the forums and unplugged all the peripherals, swapped different hard drives into the computer, changed the bios, flushed the bios, nothing. Recently I bought and replaced the bios battery, and now all it does is turn on, increments through the memory and then turns off. Sometimes it shuts off right away other times it takes a little bit and then shuts off. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

I'd check all internal components . Reseat RAM and any expansion cards (gfx/ethernet/sound etc) if present . Check cables are firmly connected to optical and hard drives and likewise firmly connected to motherboard
    If the same issue occurs disconnect all drives and use only one stick of RAM . If no change try a different stick of RAM . If you get to POST ok at this point you'll get an error message saying 'non-system disk' or similar . Now add one device at a time until the problem recurs . If you dont get to POST ok at this point update this thread and take things from there .

3. TaiLova

TaiLova Thread Starter

Hey thanks for replying nessy. I've done all the unplugging of all the devices, tried running it all with no stick, one stick, two stic, (red fish blue fish :). However upon letting the computer increment through all the ram, a messaged popped up stating cpu fan was not connected, which I unplugged and plugged back in. And then on the reboot I got the "media test fail, check cable" error. Again I unplugged all devices, to get the "non-system disk" error which made sense, since nothing was plugged in. I then plugged back in the hard drive and it gave me the "media fail" error. I swapped in a different hd to get the same error. When I plug in a different hd it recognizes it correctly, but after that gives me the same "media test" error. Thanks.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

Try swapping out the cable itself ....

5. TaiLova

TaiLova Thread Starter

are the cables interchangeable? (IDE cd be used for hd)?

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

Sorry for the slow reply :eek: . I haven't checked my notifications lately .

Yes , the cables are interchangeable but for simplicity if the HD is plugged in at the end connector on the ribbon do the same on any cable you try .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice