1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Test Failure, and lots of other stuff

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by smileygirl2006, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smileygirl2006

smileygirl2006 Thread Starter

Hah, where to begin.

okay, I have an Acer Aspire 5335-2238, with Windows Vista.

The initial problem was the black screen of death, with the following message:

Media test failure, check cable
    exiting PXE-ROM
    operating system not found.

Acer Tech guy gave me an ISO image to make hard drive ready in order to use the restore discs (which I purchased from ACER).

I put the system disc in and received the following message:

Fail to find RESTORE.DAT file.

So, I replaced the hard drive...

Still, same message. I gave up and took it to Geek Squad. They did a diagnostics. Everything is fine except my CD disc drive, which I knew already, because I own an external one. THEY DID NOT HELP.

Next, I tried using Active Kill Disk to delete the partitions off of my hard drive, because apparently acer hard drives can have hidden partitions that prevent the restore of your computer. Seriously?

That still did not work, and I still received the Fail to fine restore.dat file.

So, I got the ISO image of Ubuntu (LINUX). It deleted another hidden partition on my HD. But it also installed Ubuntu, so I have an operating system now. Yay.

However, it still has the black screen of death that says:

Media Test Failure, check cable
    exiting pxe-rom
    and then it goes into Ubuntu.

So my problem is, how to get through the restore.dat failure error message? (the discs worked, I used them on a friend's computer, after her computer got a nasty virus). Everything was confirmed fine through the diagnostics. The discs work. The hard drive works, except for maybe annoyingly hidden partitions. So I am at a lost.

Because I seriously want Windows Vista back, and not have Linux anymore. :(

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

The Media Test Failure is probably as a result of you having a faulty CD drive, locate the CD drive in the Bios and disable it, that should cure one problem.

Follow this guide to cure the other problem: http://www.pchell.com/support/acerrestore.shtml

3. smileygirl2006

I followed all three things on the pchell website, hence the reason why I wrote on my forum that I tried Active Kill Disk, and put on Ubuntu. And I tried the third option as well.

The cd drive stopped working several months before everything else stopped working.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

As far as I can see from the instructions in the link I gave the one thing that could be messing up the use of the Recovery discs is that you still have Ubuntu on the drive. I assume the disc you got from Acer is the one mentioned in the guide "Acer Hard Drive Format Utility" which has to be run first so the hard drive is formatted correctly for the Recovery discs to work.

Where Ubuntu is mentioned in the instructions it tells you to run it from the CD not to install it.

I would start the process again and follow the instructions word for word and don't install Ubuntu. Then try the Recovery disc again.

With the CD drive problem have you checked what I suggested and made sure it is disabled in the Bios, if that is still producing the error physically remove the faulty drive from the PC.

If you still have problems then I would suggest getting a new internal CD drive as there may be some glitch occuring due to you using a USB CD drive. Transfer rates on a USB drive are much slower than an internal drive which may be causing a problem. USB drivers will not be on the system until the OS is loaded so that may also be contributing to the issue.

5. smileygirl2006

I tried using the recovery discs after using Active Kill Disk, and it still didn't work. I tried erasing the partition using the Ubuntu discs, and it didn't work, which is why I gave up and put on Ubuntu because it seemed like it didn't want to delete the partition. I will try to disable the CD drive, and see if that works. But today, it got jiggled a little bit from traveling home, so it tried to say the operating system was not found again. So maybe something is loose???

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Whichever way round you do this you have to run the "Acer Hard Drive Format Utility" immediately before trying to use the Recovery disc.

You have to use the Format Utility, after using Active Kill Disk or the Ubuntu disk, before you try to use the Recovery discs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice