1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media test failure and OS not found.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mgonzales583, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgonzales583

mgonzales583 Thread Starter

Well, where to start? I'm not too good with computers, but I can generally find my way around if I need to. However, I recently came across a laptop I used to use, but stopped due to this repeated error. I didn't know what to do at the time, but now that I'm more computer savvy, I figured I could. I was wrong.

The error reads
    Code:
    Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8191E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03 (071628)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    Operating System not found

I've tried restoring BIOS settings to factory defaults, but to no avail. It's a Windows Vista laptop. Any help is appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This sounds like a hard drive failure to me.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Your laptop is set to boot from several devices, and isn't finding any of them.
    You can check the boot order in the BIOS, but this is almost certainly a HD problem of some kind.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice