1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Test Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pi314, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pi314

Pi314 Thread Starter

Hello all. So I've been having trouble with my computer lately and was hoping someone could help.

Last week, I dropped my laptop and when I turned it on after that, it would either: (1) give me a white screen where I could only see my cursor (after booting to the desktop) or (2) give me my usually desktop screen, but with nothing clickable and which would freeze up whenever I tried to click on anything. I, then, tried to boot it in safety mode and this would work, but I couldn't seem to find any working solution that would help me boot up windows normally. I figured since safety mode still worked, the problem wasn't with the hardware, but with the software and since I couldn't find any working solution, I decided just to reset windows to factory settings using the recovery disks that came with the laptop. The computer responded to them and gave me all of the expected loading screens, etc and restarted when it was finished. After restarting, it went to a black screen and gave me the message: "Media Test Failure" and then did nothing. What can I do from here?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Since you dropped the laptop im going to guess that the harddrive got damaged in some way along with possibly other things.Media test failure usually points to either a failing hard drive, or it got knocked loose from the fall.

3. Pi314

Pi314 Thread Starter

IDK, if I go into BIOS, the computer still recognizes the hard drive.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its recognized that doesnt mean it isnt damaged in some way. The test failure message is telling you theres a problem somewhere.

5. Pi314

Pi314 Thread Starter

Ah ok, what are my option then? Should I get a new hard drive or is there some way to fix it (that doesn't require an advanced degree in computer engineering)?

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I personally would take it somewhere and have it looked at because it was dropped. Then you can see if anything got damaged and go from there as to what you might need to replace if anything.

7. Pi314

Pi314 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks SUEOHIO. BTW, would you happen to know if repair places typically charge you for diagnostic work like that?

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are welcome. I would think they would. But if you can tell them what happened and what message you are getting then it makes it easier for them and it might not cost so much to diagnose it if they at least know where to start looking.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice