1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Media Write Protected Error Accessing Mounted Drive via EASEUS Backup in Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pettigrew, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Thread Starter

Ok long title but here's a rundown of the problem:

My friend was formatting his XP machine to install a clean Win7.
    I went ahead and backed up his stuff on XP via EASEUS To-Do Backup utility onto a laptop HDD USB enclosure.
    We installed Win7 on his machine.
    We plugged in the USB Enclosure with the backed up data.
    We then went into the EASEUS program and mounted the image file.
    We went to access his User folder in Documents and Settings and got the error: [​IMG]
    So I clicked Continue and then got the error: [​IMG]
    So I went into the Security tab to add the current Username I was logged into as being able to access the folder and then I received this error: [​IMG]

There is no switch on the laptop HDD or USB enclosure to write protect it so I don't know why it's giving me this error. If anyone knows please help me out, thanks in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably giving you that clear-as-mud message because you don't have permission to change the permissions.

Try Take Ownership.

3. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Thread Starter

When I attempt to change the ownership I get the media is write protected error.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The image file is mounted as a Read-Only virtual partition by Easeus, so it is write protected. You can't add to or change an image once created, so you can't change the security settings or ownership.

The ability to mount and copy files was intended to be used only by the same system that created the backup. If that system crashes, you would restore the entire image, which restores all the accounts and security settings.

You'll have to actually restore the image to a hard drive (or a hard drive in a virtual machine) to be able to take ownership and access the files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice