1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mediacom issues follow up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zx10guy, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

The thread I commented on concerning my issues with Mediacom has been locked. I figure I would start a new thread to follow up with my issue.

Recap is I've been having progressively worse performance with my Mediacom service for the past few months. It started off with poor streaming and VPN instability. Now it's affecting regular web browsing where Facebook pages take forever to load and some web pages necessitate a browser refresh to get the web page to load. In addition, doing ping tests to a known server on the Internet results in consistent packet losses.

So I finally broke down and contacted Mediacom to do death by scripted troubleshooting. Fortunately, I didn't have to do this. The tech I spoke to on the phone immediately saw major issues on my line. Said there is a lot of noise and there's no doubt someone needs to come out to figure out what is the problem. I have a service call set up for this Saturday. I'll report back on the results of the service call.

I also wanted to mention something else with my experience with Mediacom. It appears Mediacom has this policy to nag their customers to death. Since setting up the service call last Thursday, I've been getting at least one call a day from their automated system stating I have a service call scheduled and if my problem has been resolved to call in and cancel the appointment. Some times I get 2 to 3 calls on the same day. These calls are happening on my cell phone and has been annoying and bordering on harassment. I called in to customer service to complain and see if they could do something. Of course the drone said there is nothing that can be done. I asked for a supervisor but was unsuccessful. The drone stated the supervisor can't do anything either. I said this is not the point. I want to get someone that can possibly provide feedback to change this ridiculous policy. The drone said she would make a note of my complaints and suggestions to be escalated.

Did I say I hate Mediacom? Unfortunately they are the only game in town for my vacation home. I can't even get DSL.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That sucks that they are the only player in town. I am glad that someone can actually see your signals being erratic.

3. zx10guy

Here's a follow up. The tech came out and we found quite a few problems with the cable installation. First, there was a lot of noise on the line. After some troubleshooting, the tech determined the RG6 quad shielded coax cable from the exterior DEMARC to the structured wiring cabinet was bad. After the initial panic of figuring out how to run a new cable without punching all sorts of holes in my walls, I realized there was another RG6 run the builder had pulled. Fortunately, that line tested fine and we didn't have to worry about destroying the walls to run a new cable. This should be a lesson for everyone who is thinking about pulling new cabling. Always always pull extra. In my case, thankfully the contractor for the builder did it right for this by pulling an extra run. They did other things wrong but at least this was right. There was some initial confusion on where the other end of the second cable run was terminated. Found out the contractor just terminated the end of the second run and screwed it into the coax distribution block making it look to be a run to one of the rooms in the house. Nice.

Next up was the signal strength. It was really bad. Tech said I was measuring out about -41 where it should be +/- 7. One thing he removed out of the equation was a splitter used at the outside DEMARC connecting the line from the cable company to my home's wiring to something without so much attenuation. Second was replacing the coax distribution block used by the contractor which introduced another -12 reduction. After all of this was done, the signal strength was still not good enough. So we go look at the cable company's distribution block on the street. Pulled out the line and found the TV programming block adapter to be soaked in some crud. He removed the block and the signal strength jumped to where it should be. I forget but I think I was at 1 or 2 now.

It was nice to be able to now stream and surf the Internet without all the crazy issues I've been having. Doing a ping test to 4.2.2.2 was also so much better as I was getting latency numbers prior in the 80 or higher ms range if packets were not dropped. I am now getting latency numbers in the 30 to 40 ms range. While things are working pretty well, it's not 100% great. Still getting random hiccups and disconnects when I streamed content using my Slingbox setup. But at least it's so much better than it was. Plus I found out I'm getting more speed than what I am provisioned for.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Wow that sounds like the contractors that did the line wasn't that good... pinging 4.2.2.2 from here results in 23-25ms for me so at least that is going good. Hopefully they can figure out the rest of the drops. Is your slingbox wireless?

5. zx10guy

It was a combination of the structured wiring contractor my builder used and the tech Mediacom first sent out to set up my service. The tech that came Saturday kept scratching his head as to why the previous tech did what he did. In addition, the previous tech used some sort of silicone on the exterior connections which he said he has never seen done.

As far as the Slingbox, the main unit is located at my primary home. At the vacation home where I have Mediacom service, I run the Slingbox client on a Firestick. I've had no issues with streaming to my phone over cellular. Just when I stream over Mediacom. It's not bad but I'm sure Mediacom is slapping on some traffic shaping on my line.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!