1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

medium-to-severe lag problems...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by starla, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starla

starla Thread Starter

within the last week, my computer has had an increase in general lag. Local browsing via explorer is extremely slow. However, I've noticed no change in program loading time, or program performance. I continue to be able to burn cds, run multiple programs at once with no -extra- decrease in performance etc. *knocks on wood* It's just the act of browsing locally that seems to show problems. (including browsing files within a program, say Nero, shows much lag)

I'm using an HP Pavilion 6540C (I know... yuck. but it was used and cheap), running it's factory-provided OS-software package.

(The previous owner says he added more RAM, ethernet card, a new CD burner and put everything in a bigger case, planning to upgrade more...)

OS is Win98se,
    currently 510mb RAM
    Processor is between 500mhz and 700mhz. 650 rings a bell. I can't remember exactly, and can't remember how to find out. if you need it, remind me how?

I started noticing the problem after I moved into my new Apt... which makes me worry about a physical shock that may have knocked some RAM loose? (Possible?)

Problem also seemed to get worse after yahoo IM's protcols changed on the 25th, affecting (crashing) most users of the IM client, Trillian. Those series of trillian crashes seemed to make everything worse.

Nothing has crashed (except trillian... now fixed), and I've seen no blue-screens since I got the machine in April.

Can someone help?

If this is NOT some sign of a bigger problem, how can I increase my computer's performance? I'm weak at identifying what things in startup can be safely unchecked and what should stay...

Thanks in advance

2. Rache

Rache Banned

It's not a ram issue. As far as I can make out your ie is slow but o/all pc performance not too bad?

ie v6 with 98+ sometimes doesn't gel well. Try reverting to previous via add/remove or repair (although it rarely works). So, v5.5 is best to use if there's probs. Also clear out temp int files folder.

As an extra I'd suggest a defrag and scandisc in safemode. You can always run sfc later if no improvements.

3. starla

starla Thread Starter

internet explorer doesn't seem to give me any problems. It is just with local offline browsing that I notice serious lag.

will reverting internet explorer affect windows explorer? I understand the two are similar, but I don't have any idea how integrated, or if they are actually the same thing.

Clearing my temp internet files was one of the first things I tried.

I'll run scandisc and defrag tonight and tomorrow for sure.

4. Rache

Rache Banned

I misunderstood when you said browsing...

If pc's hanging then run the scandisk and defrag in safemode, then run system file checker: RUN, type sfc and change any files you think have become corrupt (it'll show all changed files though).
    If this doesn't improve things you can reinstall os over itself (but with some HP restore/hidden partitions you have to be careful as it may wipe out data too).

BTW how many b/g progs are running?

5. starla

starla Thread Starter

Lots are listed in (it's called 'taskmanager' right?). Not including items I'm actually using, there are about 10 things listed. This is why I wanted to learn about things that run on startup... but that must be for another day.

I must sleep now, but I will come back if I have more questions later.

Thanks for the help.

6. Rache

Rache Banned

It's my pleasure. When you post again let us know your startup list in taskmanager so you can close the non-vitals. If I recall the only things you need running in 98+ is explorer, syst tray, firewall and av.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice