1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Meh PC's in bad shape. Can't tell what's wrong.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mirari, Sep 14, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirari

Mirari Guest Thread Starter

One morning I got up for work and figured I'd shut my PC down for the day. It didn't shut down right, and ultimately I had to hold the power button in until it clicked off. I tried to start it up again, to see if the problem would work itself out, but I got no display response from my monitor. I tried a different monitor - no good. I put another video card in - no good, with either monitor. I tried some other things, but ultimately bought a new motherboard to see if it would help. Now, on this board, when i hit the power button my fans start up, but nothing else seems to happen. No beeps, or processing, or display.

If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated. I'm running a p4 2.4 with 1gb of pc2700 ddr. i've got the ati 9700 pro, 2 hard drives, two cd drives (one's a dvd), and floppy of course. My problem might be with the power supply, or maybe even with the processor, I'm really unsure. Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may indeed want to try a new powersupply before you do anthing else. If its you're P/S you risk damaging the other parts. Waht make/model is the P/S and how many watts?

That said, make sure you have the jumpers set up correctly on the new motherboard - check FBS and most importantly the Clear CMOS jumper - its hould be in the Normal position.

Also it could be shorting on the case or a bad connection. Try seeting the mobo up outide the case with only 1 stick of ram, video card, and CPU and H/S fan and see if it starts. Do not attach any drives or other cards.

3. Mirari

Mirari Guest Thread Starter

the power supply is 450w, can't remember the make. The motherboard is a new MSI, with auto-jumpers so you can just set up everything in bios. Cmos is in the correct placement

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice