Meltdown...? P4 on heat.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eddey

Evening,

There I was, sitting in front of my brothers new computer which I'd just built - and it hit me.

His CPU, an AMD Athlon 3500+ 64bit ting - when idle and loaded - wsa running AT LEAST 10 degrees cooler idle, and over 20 degs with Doom 3!

What's going on, should my p4 really be getting this hot? There's potential for bad thermal goo application - the application for the Zalman AlCu wasn't too smooth...

At the moment it's running about 38, case open with good ventilation, and curiousely I can overclock it about half a gig and be stable at the same temps when it's loaded unclocked - normal or not?

Thanks to all and every,

-Eddey

Rukee

Banned
AMD a64`s just run that cool. The X2`s use even lower voltage then the rest of the a64s so they often run even cooler.

Eddey

Technology, a wonderful thing... Why did I build on Intel.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, while AMD was solving their heat issues, Intel was creating heat issues. :) It used to be that the Intel processors ran cool and the AMD's where hotter than... well you know. :D The Prescott P4 core was Intel's big leap into creating heat issues with their processors, and the AMD's started getting cooler.

Eddey said:
Technology, a wonderful thing... Why did I build on Intel.
I really dont know;) AMD64 are the best right now in just about every bench you can find, that may change next week but right now, theyre king.

Eddey

It's a shame... I'd upgrade mine again but i've already got an old athlon 2800 sitting on my desk without a case... Looks pretty nice thoguh - and at a bonus it works.

Guess I'll have to wait for AMD chips to come down

Eddey said:
It's a shame... I'd upgrade mine again but i've already got an old athlon 2800 sitting on my desk without a case... Looks pretty nice thoguh - and at a bonus it works.

Guess I'll have to wait for AMD chips to come down
yeah I'm waiting at least another year, this pc hardware monkey is beating the crap out of me;)

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Brite, I just went from a similar system to yours to my current Athlon64 X2 and this new system puts the old one to shame. Its so much faster at everything. For example I have about 2,000 MP3's ripped to my hard drive. With the old system it took about 5 minutes to load them in Winamp while reading the Metadata for each file, with the new system it takes less then a minute to load the same files. Bootup is faster, gaming is incredibly faster and smoother and all at a better quality level.

Oh, and overclocked with the voltage up'ed it still runs about 20 degrees coller then the old Barton XP processor - and I'm using the stock cooler.

Triple6 said:
Brite, I just went from a similar system to yours to my current Athlon64 X2 and this new system puts the old one to shame. Its so much faster at everything. For example I have about 2,000 MP3's ripped to my hard drive. With the old system it took about 5 minutes to load them in Winamp while reading the Metadata for each file, with the new system it takes less then a minute to load the same files. Bootup is faster, gaming is incredibly faster and smoother and all at a better quality level.

Oh, and overclocked with the voltage up'ed it still runs about 20 degrees coller then the old Barton XP processor - and I'm using the stock cooler.
stop youre killing me and inciting the monkey into a frenzy;) besides I'd be too tempted to sneak it into work. Its sad when i do the Everst Home benchmarks, it takes a 1/2 hour to scroll to the bottom of the list and find my system. The A64x2's look awesome, hope I can get one at work before I retire or they throw me out the door.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online