1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mem usuage affecting fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Calumz0r, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calumz0r

Calumz0r Thread Starter

The fan in my computer goes extremely loud whenever I open up programs which have a high memory usage, such as java, itunes, msn and streaming youtube videos.

It has been getting increasingly louder over the past few months and I'm not sure if I should just get a new fan altogether or somehow fix it.
    Thanks.

My computer is a custom, but a pretty poor one

512mb ram
    3.06ghz processor speed

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

It's not memory usage but CPU usage that makes your fans run faster...It is normal and in most cases nothing to worry about.

When a CPU is under load it will produce more heat and the fan will have to work harder in order to keep it cool.

Since it started happening recently, you could try cleaning the CPU fan. Fans are prone to get dusty over time, dust makes them noisier.

So, you should locate and clean your fan, if the problem still exists then you should conisder getting a new one.

3. Calumz0r

Calumz0r Thread Starter

I have already cleaned and vacuumed the fan, which the first time worked but then it slowly got louder again, so I repeated the cleaning process.
    It had no affect and remains a problem so I guess I should buy a new one.

Do you know any good places to buy one from?

Thanks again :]

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Well, either your fan is getting old or the thermal grease (a material which is placed between the heatsink and the CPU) "dried"...

Before finding a good place to buy a new heatsink we need to know what kind of CPU you are using. You need to find some information regarding the CPU model (pentium 4, Athlon, Core 2 Duo etc) and the socket that it fits to.

If you don't know where to find this info, download CPU-Z and check:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

:)

5. Calumz0r

Calumz0r Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    is that enough information?

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Yeah, thanks.

I don't know your location so I'm using newegg for reference:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103039

The above heatsink will be enough for your CPU but it may be noisy as well. You can get something more advanced but it will cost a bit more.

In any case, you can ask your local computer shop to install the heatsink for you. LGA775 heatsinks are tricky to install. Just tell them to get you an LGA775 heatsink for a Pentium 4.

Make sure that the heatsink you are buying is compatible with Pentium 4s.

Since LGA775 is a common socket for the Pentium 4s and the Core 2 Duos, someone could get confused. The problem here is that Pentium 4s run a lot hotter compared to Core 2 Duos and a heatsink designed for C2Ds may not be sufficient for a P4.

7. Calumz0r

Calumz0r Thread Starter

I am from the UK so I'll try and find the same fan but on a UK site/store.
    As long as the fan isn't unbearable noisy like my current one that's good :D

Thanks a lot this has really helped! :D :D

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I'm not sure about that...:(

You may need to get a more expensive solution if you want noticeably less noise...

And since you are buying a new machine soon, why don't you just save the money? You just need to stand the noise for a couple of months, then you 'll have your new nice laptop!;)

9. Calumz0r

Calumz0r Thread Starter

I want to use the laptop and PC :D I'm wanting to be able to use my computer for downloading and it also has an Adobe Suite, Sony vegas 8 and 7 and lots of other things installed which, to be honest, I cannot be bothered to download and install on my new laptop :)!

And believe me, my current fan is EXTREMELY noisy, it's like a plane taking off!

Also, I'm not paying for it my dad is haha :D

Thanks again, I've got to go now, thank you for all of your help and I will purchase the fan you recommended soon as it's very cheap :)!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/860564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice