1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Member list

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Desperado58, Apr 2, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. Desperado58

Desperado58 Thread Starter

It would be nice to list members by state in the list!

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    A map would be especially cool, but I don't know how easy that would be to implement with so many members, especially when we don't ask for people to chose a state or country in a drop-down. Might be worth looking into for the future, though.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would be nice if more members would choose at least a country. When we get support requests, the country they're in is frequently an issue, especially in things like networking! :)

4. oscar51

oscar51

I took a look at this topic several years ago in my TSG Report #3.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/pcredin/tsg/tsgrpt3.html

It turned out that even when members did not designate a location in their profiles, there were ways to deduce their time zones from other information -- like a flag in their avatar or a comment in one of their posts. But this 'deduction method' was far too tedious to pursue very far, and TSG has way more members now than it did in 2002. Even if declaring a location was a requirement to signup as a member, nothing would prevent a creative computer user from inserting some ingenious name in that box -- like some members do now. Maybe an IP logging database could be mined for locations and the results printed as a map, as long as no one member is tied to a particular point on the map.

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Maybe they could elect whether or not to offer the information to put on the map. I, for one, would love to see what members live near me, or are near where I'm traveling.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I live in the same state, but it's several hours away. I might be able to make it faster if I bend, spindle, and mutilate the speed limits! :D

7. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

What about setting up a Frappr Map for the forum? I mean create a TSG map on the Frappr Map site and link to it on the forum.

Peace...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!