1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Members List

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by oscar51, Dec 25, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

I’ve been trying to make some sense out of the TSG Members List but something seems to have changed since I last analyzed it two years ago. When I looked at it a few weeks ago, the Members List showed no members with fewer than 50 posts. The next time I looked a few days later, it showed no members with fewer than 20 posts. Now, today, it’s still stuck at 20 or more posts. And to make matters more interesting, when I search the list for known members with fewer than 20 posts, I get no matches. I know such members exist but they do not show on the list. So, either I’m doing something wrong or the site’s search facility has some new built-in limits. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can see the entire list?

2. hewee

hewee

PM techguy and see if he will change the limits on that and maybe other things so you can get your data that I know he like to see also.

3. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Howdy Oscar,

As you know, it does take quite a bit of database processing to go through all of our members. I just modified your account so that you can use the search in Member List for any member, not just those with 20 or more posts. However, the full list will only show those with 20 or more posts.

I'm about to head out to my in-laws for Christmas, but drop me an email when you get a chance and I can send you an Excel sheet with a list of all users if that would be helpful. :)

Happy Holidays!

4. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

Thanks, TechGuy. If that Excel list contains user name, join date, and number of posts, I'll certainly consider using it for those members with less than 20 posts. For members with 20 or more posts, I'll just download the Member List as it currently displays itself. I can tolerate the small changes in number of posts for low-rate posters (like me :)) over a period of a week, but for the high-rate posters, I need to catch the data as soon as possible after 0000 GMT 1 Jan 2011.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I know a lot of people have a lot of reasons for staying up to greet the new year, but that's probably the most work-devoted I've come across. Are these going to be really interesting statistics?

Out of curiosity is that 0000 your time or techguy time (3 hours ahead of you)? Or some other arbitrary time (GMT, moon, mars, etc)?

6. paisanol69

paisanol69

Looks like someone over there in the U.K. has been partaking of the "egg nog" already!!!

7. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Oscar - did you get my email with the file? If that looks like what you need, I'd have no problem creating something similar closer to New Years... but I'll probably need a reminder! ;)

8. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

Mike: Yes, I got your email with the file. Looking at it now. I will continue this discussion via email so this thread will not get cluttered up.

Ent: As a convenience to help me keep my times straight, I routinely keep my TSG time set to GMT as if I were sitting on the Prime Meridian at the Greenwich Observatory with a laptop. Of course, I'm not sitting there (I'm sitting in the Mojave Desert in bankrupt California) and I don't have a laptop (and if I did, it would be an Apple). But if I were .... ;)

9. hewee

hewee

So much for reading what is going on in the party line post. :p

10. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

Sorry, hewee. I did an unkind thing to shut everyone out. Here's what's going on: Mike sent me the URL of the Members List as an Excel file. I downloaded the file and finally got it open in OpenOffice.org Calc after downloaded and installing the latest version of Calc. The previous version could only handle 65,536 lines; the newer version, 1-million lines. The file had 577,591 lines (34MB), one line per member. Then I removed the info I don't need and saved the file, now 15MB. Mike's gracious assistance has saved me hours of downloading and saving the Members List as an html file. So I won't hit exactly the 0000 GMT 1Jan2011 time stamp target. Too bad. I'll just put an asterisk on the December 2010 data and call it a near-miss. :) Happy New Year everyone.

P.S.: It will take me a few weeks to get my report #4 updated, so don't hold your breath.

11. bp936

bp936

there is no hurry, but I like to look at them, thanks for doing it.

12. hewee

hewee

Was only joking with you. :p When your all done I know the report will be great as also. (y)

13. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

+1 to that ... always fascinating :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!