1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Members vs Members of

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by mastersmodo, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastersmodo

mastersmodo Thread Starter

Can someone please give me a dumbed down explanation of the difference between "Members" and "Members of" in Active Directory?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Members delineates the Active Directory objects which belong to a particular security group, whereas Members of gives a list of the security groups a particular Active Directory object belongs to in the domain.

3. mastersmodo

Thank you. So, for my limited understanding, the member tab will list any objects that are grouped in the specefic object I'm looking up. The Members of tab will have whatever objects the object I'm lookup up is a part of. I also see it as member = down tree and members of = up tree. Is that correct?

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome. Perhaps I can clarify this for you by way of example...

Fred, Brian, Jean, and Emily are all accountants, and the Domain Administrator has granted them rights by creating a security group called Accountants and making them members. So, if you double-clicked on the Accountants security group object and then clicked on the Member tab, you'd see Fred, Brian, Jean, and Emily.

As well as being a member of Accountants, Emily is a member of a security group called Accountants Supervisors. So, if you double-clicked on the AD object for her account and chose the Member Of tab, you'd see Accountants and Accountants Supervisors listed there.

mastersmodo likes this.
  5. mastersmodo

That's perfect thank you.

lochlomonder likes this.
  6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome. Glad I could help (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice