1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

membership help for a forum

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by chowdan, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chowdan

chowdan Thread Starter

Hey all

I am new here. I have been running into some issues with a forum i have been creating. I want to set the membership up so when a user signsup to the site they have to input all their data(that has not been the diffecult part). One of the fields that they are required to enter needs to link to another site to get confirmation.

So basically say it required a drivers license #, before they can be a memeber the user is required to enter the drivers license number, the site then would relay back to say the DMV site to confirm that license is a real license under the state they said the license was issued from and that the name is correct. If any of those failed then the user would be prompted a dialog displaying what information was incorrect.

I can't figure out how i would go about doing this. If anyone could help this would be greatly appricated!

Kind Regards,
    Jordan

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Not going to happen.

3. chowdan

chowdan Thread Starter

why is that?

4. valis

valis Moderator

I assume you are just being hypothetical about asking for driver license numbers? No DMV on the planet is going to allow that sort of information trading.

5. chowdan

chowdan Thread Starter

No I Do not plan on asking for drivers license numbers. Sorry for making it sound like that was what I was meaning.

It was just an example. I want it to be badicaly like a membership only registration. So the user has to have a ID number that is valid, whether I make the registration send me the details to confirm or it is fully automated doesn't matter. But I just can't figure out how to do it.

6. valis

valis Moderator

I'll leave that to LordSmurf, who has forgotten more about web dynamics that I could learn in a lifetime. Follow his instructions, and he'll tell you if it's feasible or not.

7. chowdan

chowdan Thread Starter

Ahhh ok, i hope LordSmurf can help me out. I was thinking it would be easier if i designed the page to send me a request on my profile(in the forum and in email) to accept the user or decline the user(with the option to describe why it has been declined). I am not very good at webdesign or anything so its all a learning experiance. I know most people will say "you need to know how to program and code before you even start off" but im the kind that learns by doing.

I hope some people can help me out

8. ehymel

ehymel

Nothing wrong with learning, that's how most of us learned this stuff.

The protocol for independent verification will vary from one service to another. You'll have to contact the service you're wanting and ask for their protocol.

If *you* are the verification service, then of course you get to design the protocol. Sounds like a fun project. If you're wanting to learn by doing, then by all means pick a method, code it, and fine-tune as you go. If you get stuck on a specific question, then post here and you'll get lots of help. As it stands, your question is simply too vague for anyone to offer any substantial help.

9. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

If you're planning to access internal systems, simply design all the database architecture and verification scripts (with ample security, if any info is private, and be aware of laws like HIPAA). But to connect to third-party systems, you'll more than likely have to go through their API, if they even have one.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface
    Example: Paypal gateways and integrations to shopping cart apps

As per above, vague question.

I connect with a few protocols and APIs myself, for certain tasks. Most of those were pre-made apps (by the service to whom I connect), or custom programmed, since I'm a designer/developer, and not a programmer. Although sometimes I can tweak and expand on code, via reverse engineering.

And my initial response was in relation to connecting to government databases -- i.e., DMV.

10. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Thanks. :D

Although humorous, it's actually really frustrating sometimes, having to "figure out" my own coding from a few years ago, because I simply forgot what I did. I had actually taken some notes on one particular project I recently revived/recycled, but can you guess what the problem is? I forgot where I put those notes some 4+ years ago. Not just reinventing the wheel, but reinventing my own wheel.

Doh! :p

11. valis

valis Moderator

I like that.......'re-inventing my own wheel'..........may have to steal that on occasion..........:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice