1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memorex CD-RW malfunction

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by comtrain9, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comtrain9

comtrain9 Thread Starter

I have a DVD-RW drive that I use for CD-RW disks. It works very well. Unfortunately, I inserted a particular CD-RW that was nearly full, and tried to add more images to it. The images were added to the Wizard (I have Windows XP Service Pack 3), and then I proceeded to finalize the download from there to the disk. That's when I got the overload message. I got a message that the CD-RW disc didn't have enough space, and then accidently hit the Eject button before the unsuccessful attempted download was fully processed. Like, I accidently was asking the desktop to perform a function, even as I was making it impossible for it to do so.

Then, I received another message saying that combining those two actions could render the disc unusable. I tried to retrace my steps more properly, and then got a third message saying there was something wrong with that disc, and I needed to use another one.

Since then I have tried to use that same disc. The drive doesn't even recognize that the disck has been loaded. And when I hit the Explore button for the disk itself, I get a visual chart saying the disk has 700 megabytes free, like it was never, ever used. The DVD-RW drive still works fine for all other disks I have.

I'd like to somehow save the information that was on the disk. Any way I can do that at this point? I have another drive, but it doesn't seem to read CD-RW disks at all. That second drive keeps telling me to insert a disk, even after I've done it. Can I restore the usefulness of the damaged disk, and/or save its information-nearly 700 megabytes worth?

Steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice