1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory: 2 sticks vs dual kit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GyBear, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Hello,

What's the difference (in terms of performance), if any, between putting two identical memory sticks vs a dual kit in a mobo's dual channel slots?

We are, of course, taking about good quality memory of the same kind (no Hyper-X, XMS,...) from the same manufacturer (Kingston, Corsair, ...).

Thank you.

2. Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

If you get 2 sticks it might cost more and they might not like eachother, RAM isnt RAM, you gotta have compatability.
    I have always gone for the 2x kit.

3. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, all RAMs are not created identical. But you would expect 2 sticks of the same kind from the same company to be fairly similar. Moreover, I wouldn't have bothered asking if I could pay less for a dual kit.

I'm therefore still looking for reliable data on the matter.

I'm not even sure that, say, 2X256 is always, if ever, faster than 512. But certainly more expensive.

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

It's been covered in this forum for the whole time Dual Channel has been available. Do a Search on here or if you need benchmark proof then search on Google for comparative tests. If you find the advice on this forum relating to the question you asked to be unreliable "I'm therefore still looking for reliable data on the matter" then maybe you should frequent a different forum. Obviously you haven't checked the Corsair, OCZ, Crucial or other memory sites or you could have answered your own question.

5. Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

GyBear getting a 2x256 kit SHOULD cost less than buying 2 256's.
    Keep lookin around, youll find what you need.

6. max 8

max 8

The 2 256mb Corsair sticks in my sig were bought separately and work perfectly fine in Dual Channel Mode w/ my system. I've been able to hit 250fsb in dual mode and have tested them w/ memtest86 w/out any errors.

It's always better to buy them as a set (eliminates the guesswork) but buying them separately will also work as long as you get good quality RAM.

7. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Thank you two for answering, and one for dirtying your hands on my behalf :D.

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Sephiroth311: Since you're new here and have "Advanced" in your title area, before you start dispensing your "profound" expertise and start to be critical of others, I suggest that you change from "Advanced" to "beginner" since the questions YOU have posted should already have been solved by an "Advanced" experience person and since you are posting at a number-building rate that doesn't equate to the professional answer that should have been given that you "continue to learn".

9. Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

I formally apologize and respectfully retract my comments. I found your post to be a bit harsh, since the motto of this forum is "no stupid questions", but we all need a kick in the *** sometimes, how else do we learn?
    Thanks for your help in my other posts.

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Sorry..........I didn't meant to be so brunt that you should apologize. I wanted you to realize that the people that come on here with questions are looking for reliable help. When you posted in another post disparaging remarks you were informed then about your attitude on this forum. I unloaded here on you because of previous posts you made and I had just seen the other post. As for the "We", I'm involved with a very few others in a computer business. "We" build thousands of systems a year including hundreds of servers. Electrical engineering, hardware, software, networking and MS backgrounds are required to even be interviewed for a position here. The builds are of the highest quality and yes, "we" test alot of brands for companies just like Toms Hardware, Anandtech and others you read about but we don't publish. We work with R&D at a majority of companies because one of our big things is troubleshooting hardware/software. Some people here are constantly working on MS development software for bugs/patches and also on future OS's. We are certified by most manufacturers for service work. Yea, I get a little testy now and then but when you're around here long enough you'll see that I really do know what I'm talking about (well, 99.9999999999999% of the time). As for my handle StillLearnin', ANYONE who is in the tech industry that ISN'T still learning anything is of no use to the industry. I haven't commented much on your AMD questions because the stuff is so new and "we" don't like to use the first release or even rev.1 of most hardware components because the bugs aren't usually worked out. I do know that with the 3000+ and 3200+ there hasn't been much trouble. When you give 3 year/parts/labor/warranty on your systems you can't be distributing unproven system builds. Keep posting, you're very welcome as a newcomer to TSG.

11. Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

Now thats what I call a good post. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/230406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice