1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory addon Asus L8400L Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jfontijn, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfontijn

jfontijn Thread Starter

I want to upgrade the memory on this notebook from 128 to 384 MB, which possible according to the supplier. Does anyone have (detailed) instructions and/or experience regarding the physical part of performing such an update, because to me it looks like a complex system to open it up.
    Looking forward to any help.
    Jurgen

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

Hello and welcome to TSG!

Go to Crucial.com and use their drop-down menu memory finder. I've purchased laptop memory from them before and like them very much. They ship the RAM with instructions as how to install the memory stick.

As to where the memory is located, take a look at your laptop manual, it should tell you where it is (normally on the bottom of the notebook in one of the compartments).

3. jfontijn

jfontijn Thread Starter

Thanks for the input shadowcat,
    I checked crucial and found the generic doc's on installing memory, but due to the fact that this notebook has been provided from a previous employer without any documentation, a detailed instruction for this specific model will be highly appreciated. Asus doesn't have this manual on-line and I am waiting for some sort of reply from them. So far nothing.
    Any suggestions regarding manuals, please let me know.
    Thanks

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

Here's some information that I found:

Downloads for Asus L8400L Notebook

FAQ for Asus L8400L Notebook

I couldn't find the manual, however, if you take a look at the bottom of the notebook, probably in the middle or next to the battery compartment, there should be a small plate with a tiny screw in it (looks like a glasses screw). The memory is most likely there. Open it up and take a look -- just don't touch it unless you're grounded (touching unpainted metal).

5. jfontijn

jfontijn Thread Starter

The SODimm socket is located under the keyboard. The keyboard can be removed by pressing three latches just above the keyboard and then you are able to lift the keyboard and the mem socket is available. Enter mem module and replace keyboard. Solved.
    Shadowcat thanks for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!