1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory and AGP Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ram911, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ram911

Ram911 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    I was needing some sugestions on a Memory and Video Card upgrade for my system and after searching thru Abits Forums as wells as TSG I have not confirmed any COMPATIBLE parts to purchase. My Budget for Memory is $200 and Below for 1GB of Dual channel (the best I can get as my taste often runs higher than my budget) The Brands I was considering were Corsair, Muskin, or Kingston 2 sticks of 512. My budget for a Video card is $120 and below, most importantly I need to get somthing compatible with My board. I do Moderate Gaming (would do more If my frame rates were better) and I watch DVD's with Power DVD. The ATI 9800 XT, 9800 Pro, X800 XT, X800 Pro. are brands that were being used on Abit Boards But not Mine specifacally so not sure about their compatibility.

My specs are
    Abit NF7 S2(G) (5 PCI 1 AGP, 3DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
    AMD Duron XP 1000 MHZ (10x100)
    NVidia Nforce2 Ultra 400
    256 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    NVidia GeForce4 MX440 (64MB)
    XP PROFESSIONAL (Service Pack 2)

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

All the video cards you mentioned should work as long as they're AGP and your power supply has enough ommph to make em work. (Good luck finding any of them for under $120, personally I doubt you'll have any) :rolleyes:

Here's a good price on 1 gig of kingston PC3200 mem. http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3956148

3. Ram911

Ram911 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    Well after several day's of searching for any and all information I could get on this board, I decided to get the 2600+Barton CPU (1.9GHz) and go with Mushkin 1GB (2X512) PC3200 (2.5-3-3-6) and try to get 2.4GHz out of it, as well as the 9800PRO.So for about $500 total out of pocket not a bad PC. My Last question is when I replace my Morgan with this Barton will I need to also do a fresh install of XP?

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I doubt it if you would have to do a reinstall of windows. You "might" have to do a repair but I doubt it. Usually unless you change the motherboard you will be OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice