1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory? Battery? Too stupid to own a computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scroff, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scroff

scroff Thread Starter

Ok... this is a nightmare of my own creation... I have a HP Pavillion 6635 with 256m memory (2 sticks 128). Last week it started getting page fault errors and errors on boot about missing dll's. Since I have nothing important on it I formatted and reinstalled with the HP restore CD, but was still getting similar errors. I put in a new hd (well, not brand new, but I know it's good) because I was also getting errors saying there were bad sectors, but it would freeze when I tried to run scandisk. With the new hd it ran ok for almost a week. Three days ago my daughter (who uses it primarily) told me the clock wasn't keeping time and was off by about ten minutes. She set the time and last night it was off by about an hour. Today she upgraded MSN Plus. It worked for awhile then froze. She went to reboot and, after entering her password (it's networked with another desktop and a laptop), got an error... "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe at ...."

There, it all stops. If you click 'close', of course, nothing further happens. I tried to run Docmem but that too froze.

Is this needing a new battery, or new memory? Or worse?

Thanks for listening...

2. catlady13

catlady13

That is typical of the cmos battery going. They are cheap, usually under $5 and usually pop right off of the motherboard.

3. scroff

scroff Thread Starter

Thanks catlady, I'll pick one up tomorrow and see wut gives. I went to the HP site and got the number ...
    Thanks again!

4. catlady13

catlady13

You are very welcome..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!