1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory--Can I mix those ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by franicelcha, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. franicelcha

franicelcha Thread Starter

Hi,

Can I mix those 2 sets of memory without damagin my system ? I have a set of each on hand.

I am now using the Ares model (2 x 4GB) but would like to increase my total system RAM to 16GB .

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

· Cas Latency:9

· Voltage:1.5V

· Multi-channel Kit:Dual Channel Kit

· Timing:9-9-9-24

· Model #:F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

· Cas Latency:9

· Voltage:1.5V

· Multi-channel Kit:Dual Channel Kit

· Timing:9-9-9-24

· Model #:F3-1600C9D-8GAO

Thank You

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as the motherboard(which you didn't describe) supports 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of DDR3-1600 RAM, I don't see any problem with using those 4 modules together.

They all have the same speed, voltage, latency, etc..

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. franicelcha

Motherboard Gigabyte H97-D3H, 4 memory slots, max 32 GB of DDR3-1600Mhz memory.
    That's why I thought I could use them even though the're not a kit of 4. Same manufacturer, same everything. I think (only my opinion though) these are identical memory chips with a different heat spreader.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Brand doesn't really matter (in most cases) just correct speeds and voltages.

When working in/on OEM systems like me and Frank are used to, like Dell for example, that's when it gets to be "particularly difficult''. They work a little different

5. franicelcha

Thank you

metallica5456 likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1169292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice