1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory card compatibility

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by imgja, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imgja

imgja Thread Starter

very new to digital--own a fuji for which i needed a larger card so i wouldn't have to download all the time. found card on sale at costco--purchased the proper xd, type m card. however, it was an "olympus" brand---and i own a fuji. when i contacted fuji, they stated that i did need the xd-and type m was fine---but they couldn't guarantee compatibility because it is an olympus card rather than a fuji. are they just blowing fuji smoke, or is that true. i figured as long as it was an "xd"--it was okay. ???

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i think the keyword here is "guarantee compatibility ".
    Loads of manufacturers remove support etc if using other devices.
    i would suggest so long as its the right type of card it should be OK - I use 4 different makes in my Canon and only 1 of them is Canon own make.
    I just purchased the best value I could fnd at the time although these are CF cards.

have you already purchased ????

3. kath100

kath100

This from the Fuji web site...

Q: Which companies were involved in the development of the xD-Picture Card™?

A: The card format was jointly developed by Fujifilm and Olympus.

Q: Will Fujifilm cameras accept the Olympus xD-Picture Card™, and vice versa?

A: Yes, but the use of the original equipment manufacturer's cards are recommended to ensure total support.

Link to web site...
    http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/accessories/storage_media/xdcard/

More details here on the differences between type M and H XD cards...
    http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/accessories/storage_media/xdcard_typeM/

:)

4. imgja

imgja Thread Starter

yea, i already purchased the memory card, but haven't opened it yet. i checked other stores while i was in town today, and there were lots of different brands of all the various formats. i appreciate the responses....i always have such luck with this forum, i know i post really silly, basic questions but that's about the level i am.

5. RT

RT

You are welcome to post any questions you wish, imgja. Remember TSG's motto :)

Think of the media card as "film" for you digital camera.

Now, consider film cameras...can you use Fuji film in a Kodak camera? Of course!
    Can you use Kodak film in a Olympus camera? You're darn tootin'.

Any brand of the right type of card should work in your digicam. And even if the camera maker refuses you support if you use another brand, the card manufacturer will work with you under the warranty period. The camera companies are, of course, going to take a corporate stance, they want you to buy more of their stuff. ;)

Like etaf, I have a Canon and use several different brands of media with it. Once, using a Lexar card, though some silly mistake of mine, I damaged it. I contacted Lexar and they replaced the card, even though I admitted it was basically my fault. Been working great since.

Buy reputable third party cards and you should be fine, and save $$ over the camera branded cards. Lexar, Sandisk and Transcend come to mind ( - wouldn't be surprised if they don't make cards for the camera companies anyway...)

6. imgja

imgja Thread Starter

thanx once again for all the help. the memory card is olympus brand, and since they co-developed with fuji...it better work! now i have to wade through the 100 page instruction manual. ; )

7. bp936

bp936

I don't know which Fuji camera you own, but I already bought two of them, I find them to be the easiest to handle and with excellent picture quality. So you shouldn't have to read thru 100 pages.
    And regarding the memorycard, I find that the most important thing is to "format" the card in the camera you are using it with. (I interchange cards between HP and Kodak, but it works better if I formatted the card in THAT camera and keep using it in the same) The brand I am buying doesn't seem to matter, I buy them on sale .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice