1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory card instalation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pamela724, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pamela724

Pamela724 Thread Starter

Ok, I tried to install a new memory card with 128mb and at first the screen was blank, so I took it out and put it back in that didnt work, so I took it out and put in the first slot where the orignal memory card was and put the orginal in the second slot and then a memory error came up and at the bottom of the screen it said press f1 to save changes and f10 to enter setup. Well I called compaq support and the tech prompt me to hit f1 and rebot then he told me to hit f10 and he tried a few things and that still didnt work. Then he told me I had to take my computer to a dealer to do a configeration, whatever that means. I dont understand why I would have to do that when all I was trying to do was put in some more memory. He said maybe the memory card wasnt compatable. Couldnt I just by a diffrent memory card and try to install it, Please I am in desperate need of help!

My computer is a Compaq Presario 5bw130
    Intel R Celeron Tm Processor 667mhz
    64mb memory
    Up to 11mb video memory
    15 ogb hard drive
    crom drive
    56 k moden
    10/100mb pci nic
    My Computer is running on Windows 98

the Memory I bought was by rk-byte 128mb sdram pc100
    cdrw drive

2. Pamela724

Pamela724 Thread Starter

3. John Burns

John Burns

I have tried to install memory on my Compaq Presario 6300US - and while I haven't had a disaster yet, like you, (mine just recognizes 128MB of the 256MB I installed) - I have found through extensive contact with memory suppliers that memory for Compaq MUST be a certified Compaq-compatible memory or it will not work properly. I also have a Gateway and never had any problems with memory upgrade in that computer. I guess Compaq is just "protective" about which memory you put in their units - maybe a little selfish. While I can't advise you specifically, would suggest you get a reliable memory source to help you get Compaq "compatible" memory. Good luck - hope you get it solved.

4. Pamela724

Pamela724 Thread Starter

I just purchased memory directly from compaq, so hopefully it will work, thanx for the help, hopefully this will work

;)

5. John Burns

John Burns

Hope that works for you - in the future, try Kingston or MemoryStock on the net if you want to save a little money. They both have been very helpful to me. Good Luck!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice