1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Card Reader is MESSED up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckyburr, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luckyburr

luckyburr Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1521, had it for over a year. I am always using the memory card slot to import my pictures. I use a 1Gb SD card, never even once had a problem. Then I didn't use the slot for at least 3 days, started up my computer and the "Safely Remove Hardware" green guy thing was in the bottom, which was wierd because NOTHING was plugged into my computer. Not even my power cord was plugged in. When I opened it to see what it was, I saw "Ricoh Memory Stick Disk Device". Not knowing what it was as I've NEVER seen Ricoh anywhere on my computer (after research, found out it was the actual reader but I had never seen it before). So I stopped this and inserted my card just like normal. Normally the Auto Play comes up with CANNON at the top and it just imports my photos and such. But when I inserted it this time, the green thingy popped up again but no auto play. Okay so I can handle this, so I went to My Computer and was just open it through Explorer. But instead of it saying CANNON, it says "xD-Picture Card (F:)". :confused: So I tried to open it and it says "Please insert a disc into xD-Picture Card" and it wont' open my pictures. I've tried putting the card into another computer and everything is peachy. So as soon as I open the stop hardware thing it says "Ricoh xD-Picture Card Disk Device". Well never seen that before either. So when I stopped it and removed my card...the first one immediately popped back up again. Not that the green icon is annoying but it has NEVER been up before unless something was plugged in. I've tried a system restore to a previous date (two to be exact), tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, disabling and enabling them from the device manager. I'm just SOO at a loss here as to why all of a sudden is Ricoh showing up on my computer and not letting me read my card. I even tried to reformat the card and still no luck.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!
    Thanks...sorry so long.

2. luckyburr

luckyburr Thread Starter

Somone please help me...I'm so at a loss! It is driving me crazy because I need some pictures on this computer. PLEASE! Thanks

3. htvolvo

htvolvo

Under My Computer, where it says xD Picture (F), right click on it instead of trying to open it. One of the options should be "Open as Portable Device". If you click on this, it should open up your pictures in a new file.

4. cantankerous82

cantankerous82

hey i just came across your post cause i just started having the same problem out of no where. did u have any success in resolving the memory card issue??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768429