1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Card Reader Not Recognized!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dorchit, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dorchit

dorchit Thread Starter

Memory Card Reader connected via any USB port on my PC running on 32-bit Windows 7 appears as an USB Device in "Device Manager" and as an ICON in "Devices & Printers" but does NOT appear in "My Computer" or "Disk Management" with an assigned driver letter! As such I am not able to access the Card Reader.

I have tried various solutions to similar problems reported by others in this Forum as also other Forums, such as technologynext, social.technet.microsoft etc. but none worked for me!

Can someone please offer me a workable solution? Thanks!

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

It sometimes act as a regular USB port. It's there but it won't show you anything until you put something in it.
    Is it showing you anything if you inserted a memory card on your card reader? if it does then, i suggest do not worry too much about it. it just doesnt show empty drives if that's the case.

but if you really want to make empty drives visible, i hope this will help.
    open Computer, press Alt, Tools > Folder Options > View Tab then unchecked Hide empty drives in the Computer folder

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    at the right pane, right click on HideDrivesWithNoMedia, and click on Modify, set value data to 1 then Ok.

3. dorchit

dorchit Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

However, the first one doesn't work and "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder" is already unchecked.

Tried the 3rd option but the command is not being recognized ("The system cannot find the path specified").

Please advise further. Thanks!

4. Lucky09

Lucky09

oh sorry i was not specific on that. that path should be followed on the registry editor.

at the search bar, type regedit
    then follow the path given when registry editor opens. im just using mobile right now so i cant give you screenshot

5. Gomar

Gomar

First Name:
    Gomar
    Was a memory card inside the card reader? If so, it should be read.
    If not, then yes it might show nothing until something is in there.

Try using a USB drive just to check if your USB ports work fine.
    And, try rebooting the PC, but disconnect all other USB devices.

6. dorchit

dorchit Thread Starter

Lucky09: I modified the Registry as suggested and tried both without and with a memory card inserted in the Card Reader. Still there is no Drive letter for the reader in "My Computer" or in "Disk Management".

Gomar: Have checked all my USB Drives - they are working alright.

7. dorchit

dorchit Thread Starter

Sorry, should have said USB "Ports"!

8. Gomar

Gomar

First Name:
    Gomar
    Then the card reader is bad. I had 2 die off on me in 5 years. I use Delkin Devices works fine, and Fuji is good too, only $10.

9. dorchit

dorchit Thread Starter

When I connect the Card Reader, it appears as "Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader" in Device Manager under USB Controllers. And, when I check its Properties, the Device status says - "This device is working properly"; when I tried to update the Driver, the system checked and found the current driver to be the latest.

Further, the Card Reader functions normally with earlier versions of Windows.

As such I would think there is nothing wrong with the Card Reader.

10. dorchit

dorchit Thread Starter

Thanks to Lucky09 & Gomar for their interest and inputs to solve my problem!

However, the problem remains unresolved as will be noted from my replies above. Requesting further help from the forum, please!!!

Lucky09: Should I reset the value back to "1" for value data in HideDrivesWithNoMedia in the Registry?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!