1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory chips

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nita, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

My computer is about 4 years old has anan AMD Athlon processor, motherboard GA 71XE4 AMD 750 AGP set( This is what it says on the manual. 128 Megab of RAM I run on windows 98 SE and started getting message saying insufficient memory. I ran some online tests thro' Pitstop and their advice as well as advice from others waas that the best way was to increase the memory. A friend said it was easy to put it extra memory and she would do it for me. We therefore went off with the manual and purchased 2 256 Meg strips,they looked different from the original, put them in at which point the computer wouldn't work at all. We took the strips out as well as the original and went back to the shop. They said it should have worked but the strips they gave us were pc133 and the original was pc 100 so they advised us to try and get the pc100. This we managed to do and I bought again 2 256meg strips which looked identical to the original i.e thay had 16 chips , 8 on each side.The brand was Matrix. We then inserted the 128 in its original slot and the 2 256 along side so a total of 640 meg. The computer worked sort of but was not happy. Furhter advice suggested increasing the Maxfile cache, this made no difference and also I was then told on all sides that windows 98 doesn't like more than 512 meg. No problem. We take out the 128 original stick and put in the 2 256 meg in slots 1 & 2. The computer started to boot up but then had conniptions, loads of error messages , missing Dll files and heaven knows what, impossible to do anything. Thought perhaps it's essential to have the original stick in place so put it back in slot one and added 1 256 meg stick, this time it booted up ok but as soon as I tried to get on to the internet lots of error messages, impossible to carry on, so now I'm back with my original 128 meg SDRAM and 2 very expesive 256 meg strips sitting on my desk. Does anyone outhere understand what any of this means and what I can do about it?

2. active95

active95

Sounds like an incompatibility problem with the RAM. Either a BIOS update would cure that ( less likely since the mobo it's old) or go to www.crucial.com and get a stick of RAM which is guaranty to work with your mobo.
    About win98 and more then 512 megs, its not true. Windows can use a whole lot more ( even 4 gigs if the mobo is capabile) but it will not run faster. After 384 megs , tests do no show any sign of performance meaning it will not increase the performance.
    HTH

3. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

I have been in touch with Crucial and they suggest a bios update which I should download first on to a floppy, the problem here is that when I go on to the Gigabyte website they are offering 2 downloads which both appear to be aimed at windows XP and no mention of windows 98, furthermoe although they recognise the GA 71XE4 motherboard it says underneath AM 751 whereas mine is AMD 750. The shop where I bought the strips are unwilling to give me a refund and want to take the computer in and tinker with the motherboard, I am very reluctant to do this am I wrong?

4. active95

active95

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice